Re: CONSTRUCT an RDF Datest

On 29/11/15 23:40, Tara Athan wrote:
 > On a related note, I see that ARQ Construct quad could easily be used
 > to construct quads where the name is a blank node. Having the quad
 > name be a blank node is fine according to RDF
 > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-datasets/#sec-introduction (and is
 > desirable in my usecase), but is not permitted according to SPARQL.

Yes, that should be there.  I'll add it.

When it gets into TriG or N-Quads it will become a document-scoped blank
node only, as do any other blank nodes.

 > Are such quads
 > accepted in practice, or does this cause significant interoperability
 > problems?

It's RDF 1.1 that has taken over defining RDF Datasets and the syntaxes
for them, which allow blank nodes for graphs. I presume that any SPARQL
revision by a W3C WG would remove the definition of RDF Dataset from
SPARQL and use the RDF 1.1 one in its place with all the consequences.
SPARQL should not take a different position on data.

There is a long standing wrinkle that blank nodes aren't allow by syntax
in GRAPH in a WHERE clause.

RDF 1.1 adds in a natural requirement for blank nodes in quad data
templates in the graph position.

It's in the SPARQL errata.

http://www.w3.org/2013/sparql-errata

(because I have just added it :-)

 > Tara

ARQ supports blank node addressing for when you must.
IRI(blank node) returns a suitable IRI.

 Andy