Re: Applications that use SPARQL queries

Hi Olaf,

We have such an application and it is meant to be used by any company,
and not only those who know SPARQL or other Semantic Web standards.

*SemanticServer* is an application which allows you to work with
*semantic repositories* accross the web - to work with such a
repository, you first need to register it on this server. With
SemanticServer you can do two things (1) manage resources within each
repository, (2) publish the resources on the web (you can publish only
"publishable" resources - an RDF document, XML documents, texts,
pictures etc - you cannot publish an executable or a blob).

SemanticServer has features for describing resources in any semantic
language (RDF, OWL, DC, SKOS, etc). You can create a description by
using our SemanticStudio or any other similar tool.  Ontologies are one
type of resources on such a server. Ontologies and XML documents are
stored in such a manner that you can search inside them (unless you
store a resource as a "blob" - the regular manner of storage for regular
servers) . Now, I reply to your questions:

i) Each *semantic repository* can be said to be an *RDF store*. Why we
call it differently is because, additionally to keeping RDF documents,
it also helps maintain
- Any other type of resources. Due to this, initially we called this
application "Resource Manager", but due to (2) we thought that this is
more of a "server".
- Resoures Meta-data. You can search inside both RDF documents and
meta-data

ii) It has a SPARQL processor and you can search within all registered
repositories on the web. This processor has a visual UI so that without
knowledge of SPARQL, you can graphically build a graph with some "?
nodes" and the tool builds the SPARQL query for you,  and runs it. See
here how this looks - http://semanticsoft.net:8080/semanticwebtools.html

iii) Source code is not publicly available, but it is interoperable with
other tools - you can work with a semantic repository by using the Java
Content Repository,  JSR-170 standard. Therefore, if you  use JSR-170,
you can use the SemanticServer on any project.

The obvious question is why SPARQL processor needs to be part of
Semantic Server. But, if you do not allow a repository to be queried
from outside, and address the request for a query to an internal agent
which, based on your priviledges, decides on whether to satisfy your
request, and if the repository "decides" on whether to allow to a server
to register itself, then this can serve as a basis for a strong security
system.

Ioachim Drugus, Ph.D
Main Architect
Semantic Soft, Inc.