Re: Implementations using "compositional semantics"

> Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>>
>> Olaf,
>>
>> On 22 Jun 2006, at 11:15, Olaf Hartig wrote:
>>> In a recent paper about "Semantics and Complexity in
>>> SPARQL" (http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~cgutierr/ftp/sparql-ext.pdf) Perez
>>> et.al.
>>> mention two approaches to compute solutions for graph patterns - one
>>> using a
>>> procedural semantics and another using a compositional semantics. As a
>>> real
>>> implementation for the first they name Jena's ARQ. I'm interested in an
>>> implementation following the second approach. Does someone, familiar
>>> with the
>>> paper, know of any?

RDFLib's recently added SPARQL processor uses a hybrid approach.  It has
two parts, a 'core' processor (Ivan Herman's sparql-p [1]) which is explicitely
procedural and a pre-processing step which applies some of the
equivalencies mentioned in the above paper to 'normalize' certain graph
patterns.  The pre-processing happens first before the normalized
pattern(s) are passed on to the 'core' processor.  See RDFLib dev mailing
list post on this addition [2]

[1] http://www.ivan-herman.net/WebLog/WorkRelated/SemanticWeb/RDFLib/sparql-rdflib-3.html
[2] http://rdflib.net/pipermail/dev/2006-June/000037.html

Chimezie Ogbuji