Re: Conditional Requests to resolve semaphore and confidentiality concerns

good evening,
> On 2020-01-16, at 13:31:28, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on the Solid project[1], where we use Semantic Web technologies
> intensively. For now, SPARQL is only used on the server side to update
> documents, and not using the SPARQL Protocol, a SPARQL 1.1 Update query is
> passed as the body of a PATCH request[2].
>
> We have an open issue on the level of SPARQL 1.1 Update support Solid should
> require[3], and I have been working on two points where there are some
> tensions. I have a rather involved proposal to address them both in a
> backwards compatible way, that I want to air with you. The TL;DR is: We
> should support issue 63 [4] and introduce a conditional request header into
> HTTP.
>
> These are the issues:
>
> 1) A semaphore mechanism for updates.
>
> [under certain circumstances], the Solid implementation
> would return a 409 Conflict to the second client. ...
>
> 2) A mechanism to communicate status from write queries safely.
>
> […]
>
> What do you all think?

the suggestion here does not convince any more than #60 did then.
as per the comment from 19.june, it remains, that the application which is not prepared to model the meta-state and attempts to divine it from the incidental store state will have no way to guarantee integrity.
the overhead incurred when each delete acts also as a probe is not justified.