Re: Charter

Dear All,

A community group operates very different than a WG and a Charter
is not nearly as important in a CG. If you look at the guidance the CG
starter can just issue a charter, and this was done for example in the
bioschemas CG without any problems.

However, Andy and me don't think that doing things by fiat is a good way
to build community. So we started a vote in issue 2. Which currently has
10 positives and no negatives, except in the comments. Yet we didn't
feel happy about this as in hindsight it was not quite clear that this
was a vote, how long it would run and it was opened before people
joined. Again making us feel like we were not obviously measuring
consensus.

Now we are both aware that there are holes to be pocked in the document
as written. We decided that we would rather have a flawed but fixable
one than spent lots of time to build a beautiful charter. Because we
want to work on making SPARQL more beautiful for people whom use it day
to day.

Also looking at the wider SPARQL related ecosystem. We are going for
small and useful wins that implementer and their customers as well as
the open source groups find it worth to work on. With the idea that
building on successes we can tackle more difficult parts later on.

I would like to restate that the charter is easily changed later if
there is an actual need for it. For now I think we would like to think
about and work on the many interesting ideas on our issue tracker.

Regards,
Jerven, Andy

PS. Sorry for the late reply. I ended up fighting with my home router
which decided to very much not implement the DNS and DHCP spec for a
bit.

PPS. There is some activity in the EXISTS group about publishing the
current work. Which while not satisfactory for all involved at gives
some closure to this topic until a WG can pick it up.

--
Jerven Tjalling Bolleman
SIB | Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics