Re: Reviewing solid formal objection (9) -- broadening the scope of the group

čt 12. 10. 2023 v 16:16 odesílatel James Doe <jamesdoejr@gmail.com> napsal:

> Melvin,
>
> Thank you for this. Firstly, as many of us are founders ourselves, we
> resonate with the thankless nature. Founders are often the first ones to
> the party, yet sometimes are also one of the last ones to get any cake.
>
> I am giving you flowers 💐 for what is a powerful and vibrant  grouping of
> individuals 💪🏿
>
> Further, your paragraphs have been eye-opening for me in gathering a more
> comprehensive understanding of the life cycle of Solid as a programmatic
> project.
>
> It has further illuminated for me, some context for the topics discussed
> in the CG. I have an aggressive question:
>
> What is the appetite for forming a very small exploratory group that could
> identify more closely Tim's original intent for the nature and scope of
> Solid?

Tim's original intent is a brilliant vision.  It's captured in so many
places, in his talks (especially the early ones from the 90s), in his book,
his writings and in design issues:

https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/

I do believe there's a great deal of appetite for completing his vision.
But there's not any one perfect way to do that, just different people
trying different things.

Solid is one expression of that.

I hope the solid spec makes it through a WG and becomes a W3C REC.

There is room for more than one approach.  As they say at the W3C: "A spec
is not finished when there is nothing more to add, but when there is
nothing left to take out"

I'd like to see a lite version of solid with a shallower learning curve,
but compatible with the full spec, with a full upgrade path.

It's about a week's work to distill the essential core components and make
a lite version.  Tim could perhaps do it himself if he has time free.

Either way, I think he should be comforted in the knowledge that his vision
as laid out in his book and in design issues (well, most of it) will one
day be completed.  Perhaps it's not too far away.