Re: Solid: An Explainer

po 27. 11. 2023 v 12:16 odesílatel Harshvardhan J. Pandit <me@harshp.com>
napsal:

> Hi.
> IMHO explainers should not be the place to develop new definitions, but
> to distil existing agreements into accessible text.
>
> An observation: https://solidproject.org/about which is the "official
> about Solid" page does not mention *anything* about individual's having
> sole control. It has "Each Pod is fully controlled by the Pod owner
> (i.e., you)." - which can mean either that the individual 'owns' as in
> manages the data in the pod regardless of how that pod is provisioned.
> This is compatible with the definition of 'owner' in the Solid spec
> https://solidproject.org/TR/protocol#terminology, which says "An owner
> is a person or a social entity that is considered to have the rights and
> responsibilities of a storage.".
>
> The spec states "An overarching design goal of the Solid ecosystem is to
> be evolvable and to provide fundamental affordances for decentralised
> Web applications for information exchange in a way that is secure and
> privacy respecting.". Further, the Privacy Considerations section does
> not contain any indication of data use/mis-use beyond the Pod -
> https://solidproject.org/TR/protocol#privacy-considerations.
>
> Hence my earlier statement that the community has to first agree on
> whether Solid is only a 'decentralised storage solution with access
> control' provided to the individual to 'manage their data' or more than
> that (which my suggested text reflected).
>
> On a personal note: I interpret statements in the past regarding Solid,
> such as Tim Berners-Lee's open letter
> https://www.inrupt.com/blog/one-small-step-for-the-web stating "Solid is
> guided by the principle of “personal empowerment through data” which we
> believe is fundamental to the success of the next era of the web. We
> believe data should empower each of us." - with the understanding that
> empowerment does not stop at data in the Pod but also continues when
> that data leaves the Pod which is seemingly at odds with the technical
> capabilities of Solid.

The word "decentralized" is used quite a lot without explanation.  I would
think of the current Solid more as federated than decentralized.

The issue here is that there had been idea drift since we originally made
Solid as Social Linked Data at MIT.

So I dont know what explainer text would adequately express all the
different viewpoints.