Re: Solid: An Explainer

ne 26. 11. 2023 v 17:35 odesílatel Eric Jahn <eric@alexandriaconsulting.com>
napsal:

> Melvn,
> Thank you for the explainer synopsis.  This sort of thing really helps to
> keep us focused on the larger objective bringing us together in this
> project.
>
> I have one suggestion to augment your proposed text.  The statement
>
>> Solid enables users to store their personal data in online data stores,
>> known as Pods. These Pods are controlled entirely by the user, who can
>> grant or revoke access to applications as desired.
>
> seems to eliminate the desire for "organizational" Solid pods from the
> summary.
>
> I see organizational pods as sort of a multi-tenant solid pod, where the
> individual does not control the entire pod, but the individual does have a
> say in how their own data is allowed to be shared from the organizational
> pod. This could empower consent-driven public health and human services
> information exchanges, where some of the data is not entirely accessible or
> controllable by individuals. Individuals may requests removal of some
> sharing permissions, but granting that request depends on the
> organization's policies, and depends on the situation. For example, private
> sharing between health care entities of an individual's COVID diagnosis or
> mental health diagnoses may not be something an individual can completely
> control, since this information may be in the interests of the greater good
> to selectively share to other agencies.

Could we add the concept of "Shared Pods"? Could you suggest some text: e.g.

Here is a draft text to explain the concept of Shared Pods in the Solid
framework:

*Shared Pods in Solid*
In addition to personal data stores, Solid introduces the concept of Shared
Pods, a collaborative data management solution that balances individual
autonomy with organizational responsibilities. These Shared Pods are
managed by organizations but grant individuals the ability to define
consent parameters for specific data sharing.

This approach is particularly vital in domains like health and human
services, where data sharing, while partially controlled by individuals,
must also align with public interests and regulatory frameworks. In Shared
Pods, individuals may request modifications to sharing permissions, subject
to the organization's policies and the broader context of data usage.

> Organizational pods can lead toward complex and rule-driven, computable
> consent-sharing mechanisms in health and human services, as well as
> other domains.
>
> Is there a way we can include this concept in the Solid Project concept,
> or does the group think this is too tangential, and should be in a separate
> project that may or may not interoperate well with the core Solid concept?
>
> Either open source arrangement is acceptable to me, but this feedback will
> help me focus my efforts on the correct pathway for open source
> participation.

You're speaking my language since im a huge fan of free and open source
software.

Having started the community pod and helped to maintain it for a long time,
I can say it's right now a tough task.  The main issue being that the
software and spec change in breaking ways, leading to bugs and a high
support burden.  Any advances on open source governance models would be a
plus.