Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

Quoting Nathan Rixham (2023-11-01 15:18:22)
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 1:30 PM Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Nathan Rixham (2023-11-01 13:07:22)
> > > Pivot back, and we get HTTP+URL+[ONE-THING] = web of data.
> > > What is the most widely utilized data bearing media type on the broad
> > > internet / web? JSON
> > > How do you make it more webby? add first class support for URLs
> > > How do you make it widely understandable in a shared manner? add GETable
> > > schema's.
> >
> > Seems we disagree on the very goal.
> >
> > I agree that with a goal of "web of data" the natural choice is
> > replacing document-oriented HTML with efficiently-memory-dumpable JSON.
> >
> > I just assume the different goal of "web of semantic data", where the
> > natural ONE-THING is not JSON but RDF.
> >
> > RDF is a ONE-THING with multiple serializations, and I really thought
> > that we all along agreed that this discussion was about which of the RDF
> > serializations, not about ditching RDF altogether.
> >

> At the abstract level it's a one-thing, and at the concrete syntax level,
> it's multiple. To remove the conneg requirement and get something lite, you
> need one concrete syntax only.

Why is mandating a single serialization *needed*?

I understand that eyes are needed to see web documents, but not all web
documents are always consumed visually - the web is also for blind users
(both human and mechanic): Visual aspects of web documents might be
recommended but are not mandatory.

This is where I was getting at by mentioning the gif format: It is a
serialization of image content, but web standards do not mandate it.

I do not recognize that the web of semantic data inherently *need* a
single mandated RDF serialization.  I recognize how ignoring
complexities of some aspects can simplify working with other aspects,
and I respect if some decide to explore a reduction of solid where RDF
is omitted, despite me personally viewing RDF as the center piece.

What I do not understand is the argument that it is not a balancing act.
That we MUST mandate a serialization.  We mandated zero graphics
serializations for the web of documents, why is this any different?

You might argue that graphics is optional for the web of documents, but
do you then imply that RDF is optional for the web of semantic data, or
that solid-lite is not about semantic data?

> Simply, solid-lite which requires RDF results in full solid.

No, but a solid-lite which requires a single RDF serialization results
in a fuller solid.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones