Re: Forming a W3C Solid Work Group

st 22. 3. 2023 v 19:00 odesílatel Pierre-Antoine Champin <
pierre-antoine@w3.org> napsal:

> Hi Michiel,
> On 06/03/2023 14:46, Michiel de Jong wrote:
>
> Great step forward, Tim!
>
> Sorry for the late reply
>
> ditto :)
>
> but just to add our support for this upgrade:
>
> The Ponder Source Foundation whole-heartedly supports the move from CG
> to WG to carry forward the Solid specifications, and like the Inrupt team
> <https://www.inrupt.com/blog/solid-w3c-working-group-will-advance-solid-specifications>,
> we too look forward to continuing our work with other talented individuals
> from both academic and industry backgrounds!
>
> Who else is joining? I don't see us in the list
> <https://www.w3.org/groups/wg/>yet,
>
> no we are not, because the WG is not created yet.
>
> What we have at the moment is a draft charter proposal :
>
>     https://github.com/solid/solid-wg-charter
>
> that we plan to send to W3C as soon as pending PRs are solved;
>
> - an advanced notice to the members
> - some horizontal reviews (does the charter proposal meet W3C criteria for
> accessibility, internationalization, security, privacy...)
> - then a vote of the members
>
> what is the timeline
>
> They are several moving parts, but we are still a couple of months away
> (at least) from the kick-off of the WG.
>
> for this switch?
>
> Note that the intention is not a "switch". The WG scope will be narrower
> than the CG's, so both will work in parallel (and in collaboration).
>

> And how will this affect our various panels, chairs, creators and editors,
> will they automatically be "migrated" from the CG to the WG?
>
> The way I see it, each panel of the CG will have to decide if its scope
> overlaps with the WG to a point that they should "migrate", or to continue
> to operate under the CG.
>
> The W3C does not have any formal process for this kind of migration,
> because CGs usually don't have such a structured process themselves. So we
> will have to figure that out ;)

Great work.  Agree with all.

It will be good to see some of the work here get to W3C REC status.  Maybe
as much as possible.  However the WG might have to decide what it will take
on, and what is not ready.

I'm guessing that given that Solid is quite extensive, we may be looking at
REC status (if all goes well) around a 2026-2028 type time frame, maybe a
bit earlier, maybe a bit later.

My understanding of WG's that you would be expected to attend bi weekly
calls, and also TPAC plus other F2F meetings.  And that normally you would
represent a firm that is a W3C member.

My guess is that the bar for this will be quite high for most of the
current CG membership.  So it would make sense, to have two different work
streams.  One more formal, one more casual.

https://github.com/solid/solid-wg-charter

Looking forward to seeing how the charter develops.