Re: objections to webmention

On 11 June 2016 at 18:26, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > I tried to develop things in this line
> >but
> >Tantek pushed back saying it was 'not a priority'.
>
> Fortunately, in IWC, Tantek is a facilitator and resource, not your boss.
> You get to return the pushback and say, well, it's what I want to work on
> for my own site. I'd be surprised if he didn't say, okay then, let's see
> what you can do.
>
> In this Working Group, Tantek as co-chair has a responsibility to help
> keep things on track, but I don't think that's what you're talking about
> here.
>
> > How can a social
> >system
> >not have friending.
>
> I know you mean that rhetorically, but you might look into it a bit more.
> IWC clearly has produced a working social system, so how DOES it do that
> without friending?
>
> > So I found this was much easier to do in RDF and
> >Solid.
>
> Fine. Not sure what this tells us about webmention.
>
> > That's just one example of many. I hope it does not because
> >the
> >focus of this thread, though.
>
> The way to make this thread useful in improving webmention is exactly to
> have the thread focus on a story about what happened when you tried to use
> the spec.
>
> I appreciate the step in that direction, but I couldn't find the
> webmention use in this story.

> >when

> >are

> >without
> >will
> >> >

> >> No, it doesn't. Same straw argument as on the other thread, plus
> >> ignoring my point about how bad it is when your number of adopters
> >falls.
> >>

> >OK, so you think adoption doesnt need to be factored in and I do.
>
> That's not at all what I said. I'm saying you need to consider the people
> currently adopting webmention, and you're saying they're irrelevant
> compared to some other group of people, like the potential future adopters.

> >think
> >that's a reasonable thing to disagree on. You keep calling straw man
> >but
> >when I ask you why, you dont respond.
>
> Actually, I did.   Quoting from
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-socialweb/2016Jun/0034.html
>
> >I am trying to demonstrate why the bottom up decentralized approach
> >works.
> >Why do you think that is a straw [man?] argument?
>
> Because even if the whole Semantic Web vision was entirely adopted, and every Web Page was entirely backed by visible RDF using a wide range of vocabularies that were all maximally mapped to each other in machine processible ways providing interoperability, ... Even if all if that was true, it would still be prefectly reasonable for webmention to say that's overkill and we'll just use form encoding with our two privately named properties.

Sorry, yes I missed that one.  Let me just say that I separated that into
another thread, without referring to webmention at all.  But I'll continue
that there.  I retract previous comment about you not replying with sincere
apologies.

> > It's not a good way to
> >communicate,
> >frankly.

> >then

> >data

> http://www.w3.org/ns/webmention#source>; <alice> ;
> http://www.w3.org/ns/webmention#target>; <bob> .

> http://www.w3.org/ns/webmention";,
> <https://waterpigs.example/post-by-barnaby>,
> <https://aaronpk.example/post-by-aaron>

> >> They are.
> >> <https://www.w3.org/TR/webmention/#uris-for-form-encoded-properties>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/webmention/#uris-for-form-encoded-properties
> >>
> >> Again, please don't bother replying unless you have some new
> >information.
> >>

> >Again we disagree. I said there should be an *explicit* mapping from
> >webmention to a linked data format, so that implementors know what to
> >do.
> >
> >In fact you are implying that if you prefix source and target in form
> >encoded variables with a namespace it becomes isomorphic with a linked
> >data
> >serialization. It doesn't does it? This is under specified.
>
> I don't see the ambiguity. When one person sees ambiguity that another
> does not, that's usually best clarified with a test case. Like show the
> bytes in the two different ways of doing it and ask the WG which one is
> intended.
>
> But do that on github, as a new github issue about that specific point,
> otherwise (1) people might not see it because this email thread has gotten
> absurd, and (2) there's no accountability under W3C process.

I think this is the crux of the issue.

Well as you know Linked data is based on triples.  And webmention is
doubles.

That leads to some unspecified questions?

How do you make the triples into doubles.  Do you add []?  or maybe <>?  []
I suspect.  But what then happens when the webmention is processed and
lives in a document.

How do you make the predicate from a string into a URI -- this is the part
that is covered.

How do you deal with the object string?  Do you just translate it into
anyURI?  I suspect not.  It's tied to document in wording.

So im asking to write this out so people know how to implement it and it's
under specified.  An example or a test case or anything like that I think
is needed.