Re: objections to webmention

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 June 2016 at 14:09, Ben <ben@thatmustbe.me> wrote:
>>
>> I suppose this goes back to the note vs rec description.  But I would say
>> that a) you can have multiple recs in the same space and b) recs can be
>> iterated on in the future.  The difference is whether we are broadcasting
>> that a spec is something people are standardizing on and can implement or
>> whether we are just laying groundwork for others.
>>
>> I don't see there is anything preventing people from being able to
>> implement and use this real world, it's just missing since future feature
>> young like to see.  It might be worth mentioning something in SWP to that
>> effect, which I think is a better way to solve your issue
>
> Right, thanks for putting your point across in a constructive way.  One
> thing Id like to demonstrate next is how this problem can be solved using
> existing w3c RECs, for those not already familiar.  Then compare that to
> what is in webmention.
>
> Ben, Im curious at this point.  If I were able to demonstrate linked data
> being used by millions of sites and 100s of millions of profiles, and show a
> relatively minor way to use *either* webmention as it is now with form
> encoded variables, but *also* a relatively simple 3 object JSON structure
> that could do the same with linked data, would you find this valuable?

Let me turn that around. If you can translate form-encoded webmention
into a JSON-LD compatible structure relatively easily, why don't you
implement that? When you were trying to task Ben with it you said it
was a modest amount of work.

One of the existing webmention implementations is brid.gy which does
the much more complex mapping task of translating webmention into the
native formats of various proprietary silos. This has been enormously
practically useful for those who implement webmention on their own
sites.

If you can bridge webmention to as many millions of site as you claim
with a modest amount of work, go ahead and do so.