Re: New Scientist - We want our internet back

On 3 August 2016 at 20:46, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
> the Working Group representing Solid.   At different points in time, this
> has been Andrei, Sarven, and Dmitri.
>
> Other MIT Crosscloud-funded personnel in the Working Group are not there
> on behalf of solid.   That's me and Amy.    It's hard to dictate someone's
> technical judgments, and since neither of us happened to be deep believers
> in the solid approach, it's been reasonable for us to take on the role of
> staff contact, a role which requires a degree of neutrality.   (W3C doesn't
> ask staff contacts to give up all opinions, because that's often at odds
> with having technical expertise.  But we have to balance the bigger
> picture.)
>
> I've tried to be about 150% transparent about this, repeating it to the
> point of annoyance sometimes.   I'm sorry I seem to have never said it in a
> way that made sense to you, and I repeat it here in case others have missed
> it as well.
>
> Some of you will recall a SWWG F2F meeting at MIT where I picked the name
> "solid" (from social linked data) so we could have a clear label for the
> stuff Andrei had just demo'd and was proposing to the WG, keeping it
> distinct from what I was doing (the broader Crosscloud effort).
>
> Although I still think its premature to standardize Solid, given that the
> user base is relatively small and technology still under development,
> although I hope any standards produced can be compatible with RDF - AS2.0
> clearly can and I believe AS 2.0 is being used by Solid.
>
> Although its odd to have Solid confused as a W3C standard although it
> being Tim Berners-Lee's personal project, it's not surprising there is
> confusion given that he is also Director and Solid is funding two staff
> contacts for the WG (Andrei was also at least aware of the Social Web WG, I
> hope he also mentioned it).
>

> There are several minor inaccuracies there.   I doubt they matter to
> anyone, but just in case, I'll point out: (1) Solid is part of Tim's
> professional work as a member of the MIT CSAIL Faculty, not a personal
> project. (2) It's Crosscloud (a joint MIT-QCRI project) that's funding me
> and Amy serving as staff contacts; solid is a separate effort also funded
> (in part) by Crosscloud.   (3) I haven't heard anyone suggesting that SWWG
> standardize all of solid in a very long time, if ever.
>
> I'm much more unhappy with Maidsafe, as the security community believes
> that the technology base is basically a possibly well-intentioned scam.
> I've personally asked them to submit their work to peer review as they make
> a large number of dubious privacy/security/anonymity claims in their
> marketing. When I asked them for peer review, I got a 'whitepaper' posted
> on reddit :) Anyways, I also believe the software still doesn't run yet and
> is patented.
>

> Yeah, I keep wondering when the laws against deceiving investors are going
> to come into play against a cryptocurrency.

I would caution against using the term 'scam' with regard to maidsafe.  I
havent seen any evidence that it is a scam, and it is also actively traded
in the region of $1mm per day.  Such casual speculative comments could
inadvertently lead to individuals incurring losses which is probably not
something that is desirably on this list.

However, if there are technical issues with it, or better yet, ways to
achieve the same use case (which is something ive been interested in for a
while) using web technology, that would be very interesting to hear about.

This, or something, is something that could fit in really well with Solid
as a decentralized data store with payments going to those that provide
storage and bandwidth.  Given the Solid ACL system, I think it's something
that could possibly coded using the Solid stack today.  Basically, you want
to access some storage, then you are given a 4xx code.  After that you are
prompted to make a payment, if so, you'll gain access to that store via an
ACL.

Maidsafe does have a github repo at :
https://github.com/maidsafe-archive/MaidSafe

There is also evidence of running code :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzkhA_PBys0