Re: Clarify objections to JSON [was Re: Getting the group back on track]

I wonder, does AS2 really need to be able to transport messages in
arbitrary formats?

Given I implement AS2 and want to render a message, what formats am I
required to support? What am I supposed to do when I receive a message in a
format I don't support?

AS1 mandated HTML and that seemed to work well - HTML rendering libraries
are everywhere and generally HTML has a superset of the features that all
other common formats do. From a perspective of interop, exchanging HTML
fragments seems ideal.

Requiring support for multiple formats (especially poorly specified in
general ones like Markdown), or even worse leaving the list of formats a
client must implement completely open ended, seems like we dooming us to
make a non-inter-operable format.

Owen