Re: internationalization issues

On 10/23/2015 04:40 AM, elf Pavlik wrote:
> On 10/22/2015 07:46 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:
>> However, off the top of my head there's no reason why we can't just say
>> in AS2.0 that we can look at the @language in @context but if there's no
>> @context, just look at a "language" tag. That's typically how I've seen
>> it in the wild and a lot more intuitive than @context and @language for
>> non-JSON-LD parsers (i.e. the majority of parsers).
> IMO all software supporting AS2.0 MUST have support for some basic
> processing of JSON-LD context. Otherwise it will have *no support* for
> vocabulary terms outside of very limited AS2.0 Vocabulary. For example
> no support for email addresses, birthdays or basic data about spoken
> languages in social profiles etc.
>
> One will also have no chance of using terms defined on microformats.org
> with AS2.0 (assuming that terms in  microformats vocab will get stable
> URI prefix, just as IANA link relations will soon have a normative one)
>
> I really find claims in direction of "You can just ignore JSON-LD
> context in AS2.0 data" as very misleading, unless stated together with
> all the consequences following ignoring that context!

What I see most people in real programming jobs due is search for a
prefix, such as 'foaf:' or 'vcard:' or whatever, and then just
disambiguate on that. I think we can encourage the uses of JSON-LD
libraries to result in real URIs, but for 99% of non-RDF using
programming language devs, the above is usually sufficient.

        cheers,
         harry