Re: Why not AS2? was Re: Getting the group back on track

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 3:11 PM Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18 October 2015 at 22:05, Randall Leeds <randall@bleeds.info> wrote:
>
>> I would hope that maybe the vocabulary can just be aggressively culled.
>>

> Im curious as to the advantage of culling the vocabulary.  Might it make
> more sense to say, just use the terms that your system needs, and ignore
> the others?

Probably doesn't bother me. Some things always turn out to be more useful
than others, but falling short of specifying enough for useful interop
would be a worse result. Thanks.

> I believe that it's a bad idea to try to specify all the kinds of
>> activities and relationships that people engage in and have.
>>
>> But, I thought that at least the framing, the most abstract vocabulary
>> pieces, might find broad agreement.
>>
>> I'm mostly just confused, maybe because I haven't been following closely
>> enough, about what, if anything, the group has consensus about wanting to
>> do (regardless of the specifics of implementation).
>>
> Not really sure the group has strong consensus on very much, at this
> point.
>
> There doesnt seem to be consensus on how to do profiles, relationships or
> reuse of web standards.  IMHO this is a fundamental problem, but it's been
> challenging to even discuss these items, let alone find common ground.
>
> The items that seems closest to consensus IMHO
>
> 1 Reuse HTTP to form a cross origin decentralized social web
> 2 Create a JSON based syntax for exchanging messages
> 3 Use Activity Streams 2 as a candidate for that syntax

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I hope my e-mail wasn't too rude.

I see the idea that something that doesn't rely on AS2, or any other
activity vocabulary, could provide value. I think that's (1) in your
numbering. I would be happy to see any that specifies discovery,
subscription, or notification.

I see this list here and think it's great:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/Requirements#Requirements_shortlist

And now I think I understand the conversation.

I also think AS2 probably has value. I support this idea of loose coupling
of these layers, and regret my exaggerated statements about this falling
short of useful.