Re: Post Type Discovery

elf Pavlik writes:

> I added issue on IWC wiki
> * https://indiewebcamp.com/post-type-discovery#Issues
>
> I see current claim of compatibility with AS2.0 very misleading and
> purely based on included in AS2.0 drafts examples of Microformats HTML
> serializations, about which James wrote a clear NOTE in both specs:
> "The Microdata, RDFa and Microformats examples included in this document
> are purely informative and may not currently reflect actual
> implementation experience or accepted best practices for each format.
> These alternate serializations may be removed from future iterations of
> this document and moved to a separate informative WG Note."
>
> As of today Post-Type-Discovery only applies to modeling used by
> participants of IndieWebCamp and assumes use of Microformats Vocabulary.
>
> I don't say that I support modeling used by IWC based on Microformas
> Vocabulary or that I support modeling used by James based on
> ActivityStreams 2.0 Vocabulary. I just think that pretending that those
> two mentioned use compatible models, and that proposed 'type discovery'
> supports both, only brings more confusion to current state of things.
>
> If supporters of this draft really want it to support both Microformat
> and ActivityStreams 2.0 based modeling, I see appropriate to show it
> with examples which use *both* recommended AS2.0 modeling and
> recommended Microformats modeling. As I see it this will require
> modifying at least one or both models.
> https://indiewebcamp.com/post-type-discovery#Examples

Thanks, elf!

What if the document is clarified clearly as "infering types for
Microformats or domains lacking type information"?  If we can clarify
that scope, I think it might be useful in providing ways to help
Microformats people move their stuff to ActivityStreams, which could be
useful for reducing friction in the group.

I do think it's true that once you already have a linked data /
activitystreams type representation, you've probably already set the
type, so you probably don't need this document.  But if we can reduce
the friction between microformats->activitystreams that would be helpful
for the group, I think, and might help reduce some common arguments
while giving us a clear path towards deliverables, which I would really
like to see.