social-ISSUE-42 (cwebber2): Dual licensing activitystreams specs with a free format [Activity Streams 2.0]

From: Social Web Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 17:01:59 +0000
To: public-socialweb@w3.org
social-ISSUE-42 (cwebber2): Dual licensing activitystreams specs with a free format [Activity Streams 2.0]

http://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/42

Raised by: Christopher Webber
On product: Activity Streams 2.0

I'd like to copy the activitystreams spec into the implementation I'm making, but the default w3c spec forbids modification, which is incompatible with the LGPL and is considered generally nonfree anyhow.  Could we dual license it?

I'd be fine with any free software compatible license choice, though since the IndieWeb community prefers CC0, maybe we could go with this too.

One possible issue is that CC0 explicitly reserves patent rights (this has lead to the OSI declining listing it as an open license), but maybe the w3c's patent policies cover this well enough.