Re: Re-org of chart

Blaine,

I think the re-factoring makes sense in terms of re-translating the org
chart, but I'm still hazy on what assumptions are implied about use cases.
 The technical aspects could probably become a lot longer, but the data
layer is not fleshed out at all yet and I'm wondering if that's the main
issue after all because of the use cases I'm assuming. I do want to check
those assumptions with the group too to see that I'm not off base.

One use case scenario could be like Yelp which might be thought of as a
social network between restaurants and people who eat at restaurants.  In
that scenario, we're linking people through restaurants, so getting the
data layer correct is primary which Yelp solves in a silo'd fashion i.e.
 the people and ratings do not apply off their system.   If we're about
making the web social, then they should be.

I think there's a layer of networked data that I think is the compelling
issue where the profile would extend beyond the silos like a Yelp.  'Social
networking' and restaurants to me is where do my friends eat.  A networked
data layer could answer 'where is the best churrascaria restaurant for me.'
because my friends don't know what that is and my wife is a vegetarian.

The word 'social' to me is a red-herring.  I think this is more about
'networked social data' or 'collaborative environments' because the
compelling use cases to me are about solving a problem external to what my
friends and family that I already know are doing.  What does make sense to
me is to consider 'social' to be any human input.

Another potential use case of networked social data would be enabling
foodies to comment on particular items in a grocery store.  That would
create a network of items, locations, and people that could suggest where
to get it, what else is like it, what recipes to link it to, or even who
will bring it to an event that's linked to.   Foodie comments could travel
to be used by any outlet for the product, not just the place it was
captured.

It seems to me the main stressors of creating a successful system of that
kind is analogous to creating better spam prevention from when smtp was
created, as well as replicating the value humans put on html by linking
items together as a valuable signal about quality. Perhaps the block chart
needs some ideas baked in about how to enable better, more spam resistant,
human signals than html or smpt had when they started.

The other issue is to what extent a working data layer is possible.

I think we're talking about the value of things at the data layer where
human activity is added.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Fassett