Re: Updated Charter - Please Edit and Discuss

Hi there.

Le 22 janv. 09 à 05:17, Renato Iannella a écrit :

> One thing I learnt (the hard way from running the EIIF XG [1]) is to
> be very clear on the Deliverables and make sure they are achievable
> and scoped appropriately.

I agree with that point and I would strongly suggest that the mappings
(deliverable #3) be worded as an “effort”, that could be continued as
part of an eventual WG rather than be a goal set for a one-year XG.

> I would suggest the following (to start):
> A - Requirements and Use Cases
> B - Technologies
> C - Business Models
> D - Best Practices

I think that C - Business Models should be scoped out of the tasks.
Per our discussion at the conference [1], I'll be the first to
advocate that business needs and possibilities should be extremely
present in our minds, at all times during our work, as input — but, as
people at the conference agreed (?), business models should probably
not be the output of a W3C group. Maybe business models and the
importance of business input should simply be (strongly) acknowledged
in the preamble of the charter?

Outside of that, I'd like to recommend a name change for the XG.
“Social Web” seems overly large and could be confusing, considering
that our scope is really much smaller than that. Maybe “Social Data”
or “Portable Social Data” would be more appropriate?
Alternatively, if that is indeed the full extent of our scope, we
should definitely try to get closer to the DataPortability.org guys
and maybe call the group “Data Portability” ; it could create some
confusion but again, it seems to me like there are and should be a lot
of synergies and collaboration between our respective efforts.

Cheers,
Tim

[1]  http://www.w3.org/2009/01/16-w3csn-minutes.html#item05

Tim Anglade | directeur, pôle « Turbulences » | af83
42, boulevard de Sébastopol | 75003 Paris | France
1436, Howard St | San Francisco | CA 94103 | USA
Tel : +33 1 42 72 33 32
Mob : +33 6 35 92 77 58
skype : tim_anglade
Web : www.af83.com

This email is:  [x] bloggable   [ ] ask first   [ ] private