Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Hi there.

Le 4 févr. 09 à 14:22, Toby Inkster a écrit :

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 12:25 +0000, Michael Hausenblas wrote:
>> One telecon for all TF? No way. Ever been on a telecon with say 30
>> people. Before the last one says 'hello' the hour is over.
>
> Could the telecon just consist of one representative from each TF plus
> the chairs of the XG?
>
> Each TF could arrange their own internal communications themselves,
> according to the needs of that particular TF. That may consist of an
> additional mailing list, wiki pages, IRC, microblogging, conference
> calls, face-to-face, etc.

I concur. I doubt there's anything that would prevent us from doing
that, is there?

Overall, I strongly feel that the advantages of having separate XGs
can be recouped by setting strongly-focused Task Forces inside a
single XG. While the converse is not true in my mind.

For example, the three main strong characteristics I find in having a
single XG are.
1. Less red tape involved. Setting up and maintaining one XG should be
easier than dealing with two or three, from a purely administrative
standpoint.
2. Ability to work on the larger scheme of things: Social Networks. It
would be easy to lose track of the overarching themes and goals in
narrowly-focused groups. Sure, we probably don't want big-picture
debates saturating everyday discussions inside the Task Forces but I
feel some people, thoughts and work need to stay on that large view
while we do real, solid work on sub-issues inside the Task Forces.
3. Ability to shelter and foster later initiatives that might not fall
straightly into Interoperability, Best Practices or Distributed
Architectures.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Anglade | directeur, pôle « Turbulences » | af83
42, boulevard de Sébastopol | 75003 Paris | France
1436, Howard St | San Francisco | CA 94103 | USA
Tel : +33 1 42 72 33 32
Mob : +33 6 35 92 77 58
skype : tim_anglade
Web : www.af83.com

This email is:  [X] bloggable   [ ] ask first   [ ] private