Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Hey Michael, thanks for meshing in.

Le 3 févr. 09 à 20:34, Michael Hausenblas a écrit :

> Tim, All,
>
> With all due respect, but a single XG will fail. I bet a good pint of
> Guinness on it (well, you need to come over here to Galway to
> consume it,
> but that is another story).
>
> Why, you would ask?
>
> Simple: Too many people, too many topics. I've been active (actually
> still
> active in one) in two XGs (Media Semantics and RDB2RDF) and I
> *think* I know
> what I'm talking about.
>
> Though XGs are nice as they last only for a year, if you don't have a
> perfectly clear idea what you wanna do (that is, find out which
> aspects are
> worth being standardised) then you'll end up in a debate club - and
> we have
> already one such a group called DataPonderability or some such.

Yup, that's been my personal fear too. Don't shoot the messenger here.

A small group of us (Christine, Harry, Dom and I) was worried that the
discussion was going to stall at the current pace on the mailing list
and considering the votes and opinions expressed, it seemed to us that
one way to avoid stalling and avoid (growing) overlap between the XGs,
was to propose having a single, purely “umbrella” XG.

By then having several task forces inside that shell, working on very
specific, focused deliverables, we figured we could probably alleviate
the productivity concerns we all felt, such as those you just expressed.

After all, we can make those task forces and deliverables inside as
precise as they need to be to ensure the efforts will go smoothly and
will not dwindle into debate clubs — It's your job (and my job and
everybody's job), to edit those descriptions to avoid that, a problem
we can all try to tackle right now.

Or is even that two-tier XG/Task Force structure a doomed
organizational view to start with, in your opinion and experience?

> As for me, fine, if you go for one - see you 6 March 2010 having a
> Guinness
> which very likely I'm not gonna pay ;)

When it comes to beer, I don't drink anything less than a liter, so
unless you're willing to get serious with your bet… ;)

Tim Anglade | directeur, pôle « Turbulences » | af83
42, boulevard de Sébastopol | 75003 Paris | France
1436, Howard St | San Francisco | CA 94103 | USA
Tel : +33 1 42 72 33 32
Mob : +33 6 35 92 77 58
skype : tim_anglade
Web : www.af83.com

This email is:  [X] bloggable   [ ] ask first   [ ] private