Re: Invited expert - Change of policy?

Hi all,

I'm new to this kind of W3C participation but I'd strongly agree with
Benjamin to get things more focussed in smaller groups/lists; definitely
for the telcon sessions.
In the meantime, the public list follows the common rules of the W3C
serving as an extra broader, open and diverse discussion forum from which
valuable and active experts still can be selected ... (?)
Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Hans

 Hans CONSTANDT MCIE
 iDIT Senior Business Consultant
 "Discovery consists of looking at the
 same thing as everyone else and
 thinking something different" Albert
 Szent-Gyorgi

             Benjamin Nguyen
             <benjie.nguyen@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "public-social-web-talk@w3.org"
             public-social-web         <public-social-web-talk@w3.org>
             -talk-request@w3.                                          cc
             org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Invited expert - Change of
             04/07/2009 12:09          policy?
             PM

Hi,

I'd support keeping the number of lists to the minimum, having just a
*public* list would be fine for me. I feel the only difficulty is if
there are 50 people on the telecon, but I doubt that is actually going
to happen.

Cheers,

BN
University of Versailles

2009/4/7 Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
wrote:

>> On 7 Apr 2009, at 10:54, Harry Halpin wrote:
>>
>>> The solution is simple: Everyone becomes an "Invited Expert" and agrees
>>> to the XG Charter policy.
>>>
>>> However, this would require everyone who participates in the public
>>> list-serv or who speaks at the telecon to sign up to be an Invited
Expert
>>> first, and would require explicit banning of everyone who does not sign
up
>>> as an Invited Expert from the list-serv. That sort of list-serv and
telecon
>>> does not seem very public or open to me.
>>

>> No, that is not what I said Harry. Nobody is banned from anything ;-)
>
> However, this would prevent interaction with companies or people who for
> some reason or another may not be comfortable or have time to sign up to
be
> an Invited Expert. This may include people from major social networking
hubs
> or smaller sites or community efforts who just want to dip their toes in,
> and would prevent cross-posting and so interaction with the wider Social
Web
> community.
>
> Since W3C groups usually have a public list and a member-only list, and
> interaction with both public and member-only lists are both taken
> seriously,  I am pretty sure there isn't an actual legal issue here,
> especially as XGs just look at future standardization but do not actually
> make standards, unlike the HTML5 WG. If there is an actual legal issue at
> hand, Renato, you should clarify and bring up previous experience
> explicitly, and we can run the possibility by a legal expert.
>
> More likely, it's an operational issue. In particular, whether or not
> someone should have to fill out both forms (W3C account and Invited
Expert
> status) before joining the "public" list or not. It seems de-facto, at
least
> according to usual W3C terminology, that then that list would be a
> *member-only* list, not a "public" list. Is there any reason why such a
list
> would be called "public" rather than "member-only"?
>
> I am happy to have a member-only list that uses Renato's procedure and a
> public list that doesn't. I see no reason why we should not have a public
> list where the general public, who may not have W3C accounts and may not
> fill out the form for whatever reason. The question is where should most
of
> the work take place, and the charter currently says the public list.
Again,