Re: JRD, XRD Re: Webfinger

[please keep this cc'ed to Social Interest Group]

On 02/01/2015 09:59 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
>> I would prefer not to put limitations of JRD upon our work, and use
>> webfinger *only* as a way to get equivalent http: / https: URI for
>> URIs using other schemes acct: , mailto: , xmpp: etc.
>
> I had a look at the Webfinger specification.
>
> JRD (JSON Resource Descriptor) does not look like something I want to
> use in the future. It is a JSON-formatted XRD document and has its own
> media type (application/jrd+json). And XRD (eXtensible Resource
> Descriptor) is "a simple generic format for describing and discovering
> resources".
>
> Something like Webfinger but based on JSON-LD might be good, but that
> depends on it being in scope here.
>
>> Then stating the actual relations (links/predicates) in JSON-LD
>> document representing particular resource.
>
> +1

Note that WebFinger dropped XRD support, included the support for the
non-standard XRI class of identifers. It supports only JRD. However,
there is no reason why you couldn't use JSON-LD with JRD:

"However, this specification does not enumerate the various possible
properties or link relation types that might be used in conjunction with
WebFinger for a particular application, nor does it define what
properties or link relation types one might expect to see in response to
querying for a particular URI or URI scheme. " [1]

In general, parsing JSON documents is something most people can do.
JSON-LD's advantage is in mixing different types of documents and in
extending formats and thus preventing "namespace" clashes. There exists
little evidence in the wild that inference or any of the other purported
advantages of the RDF data model is ever used by developers.

Again, it would be good to concentrate on the API rather than go off
down into many more ratholes with the WG. That being said, there is
little happening in the IG, so they'd be more than welcome to have
agenda items added!

    cheers,
         harry

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7033