Re: Comparing Activity Streams / Schema.org / Hydra (former: 'Fwd: Schema.org applies W3C Patent Policy')

A review on these would be helpful.

The model in AS2 is straightforward. For every object, there is an
"actions" property whose value is a map of potential actions. This map
takes the form of a JSON object mapping verb identifiers to so-called
"action handlers". An action handler is a declarative description of
how to carry out some kind of action.

Where schema.org/Actions, Hydra and the AS2 Action Handlers specs
overlap is on the definition of those "action handlers". Where
schema.org/Actions and AS2 conflict is on the use of the "actions"
property in AS2 vs. "potentialAction" in schema.org.

(It's worthwhile to note that the Activity Streams 2.0 [1] and Action
Handlers [2] specifications are distinct documents.)

[1] http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams2.html
[2] http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams2-actions.html

So, for example, if we take an example given by the schema.org/Actions
documentation:

{
  "@context": "http://schema.org",
  "@type": "Restaurant",
  "name": "Tartine Bakery",
  "potentialAction": {
    "@type": "ViewAction",
    "target": [
      "http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/92204",
      {
        "@type": "EntryPoint",
        "urlTemplate": "http://api.urbanspoon.com/r/6/92204",
        "contentType": "application/json+ld"
      },
      "android-app://com.urbanspoon/http/www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/92204",
      {
        "@type": "EntryPoint",
        "urlTemplate": "urbanspoon://r/6/92204",
        "application": {
          "@type": "SoftwareApplication",
          "@id": "284708449",
          "name": "Urbanspoon iPhone & iPad App",
          "operatingSystem": "iOS"
        }
      },
      {
        "@type": "EntryPoint",
        "urlTemplate": "urbanspoon://r/6/92204",
        "application": {
          "@type": "SoftwareApplication",
          "@id": "5b23b738-bb64-4829-9296-5bcb59bb0d2d",
          "name": "Windows Phone App",
          "operatingSystem": "Windows Phone 8"
       }
      }
    ]
  }
}

The equivalent definition in AS2 would something look like:

{
  "objectType": "http://schema.org/Restaurant",
  "displayName": "Tartine Bakery",
  "actions": {
    "view": [
      "http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/92204",
      {
        "objectType": "HttpActionHandler",
        "id": "http://api.urbanspoon.com/r/6/92204",
        "mediaType": "application/json+ld"
      },
      "android-app://com.urbanspoon/http/www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/92204",
      {
        "objectType": "application",
        "id": "urbanspoon://r/6/92204",
        "appid": "284708449",
        "displayName": "Urbansppon iPhone & iPad App",
        "operatingSystem": "iOS"
      },
      {
        "objectType": "application",
        "id": "urbanspoon://r/6/92204",
        "appid": "5b23b738-bb64-4829-9296-5bcb59bb0d2d",
        "displayName": "Windows Phone App",
        "operatingSystem": "Windows Phone 8"
      }
    ]
  }
}

I have not looked at Hydra in enough detail yet to know how the
example would translate there.

The approaches that schema.org/Actions and AS2 Actions take differ in
a number of fairly obvious ways. Both, however, are capable of
expressing the same basic information in relatively consistent ways.
The devil, however, is always in the details.

I'll admit my bias up front since I'm the co-author of the AS2 Action
Handlers spec, but I prefer the more concise approach it takes. While
the specification defines a handful of basic Action Handler types
(View, Http, Embed and Intent), these are flexible enough to support
an extremely broad range of cases and can easily be mapped to existing
verb identifiers. As the examples in my various blog posts illustrate,
it's also possible to use other kinds of Action Handlers in the AS2
model (for instance, we could easily make use of the
schema.org/Actions definitions directly without any modification).

- James