Re: Draft Final Report

On 12 September 2013 19:17, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> If folks want, I can put it on a wiki for easier editing. However, if
> folks don't mind maybe we first just try emailing comments to this mailing
> list. I'd like to have comments in next Thursday, or even Tuesday, if
> possible.
>
> As soon as I get all the presentations/photos in from workshop, I'll
> release an HTML version on the site.
>
> I'd like to have comments in next Thursday, or even Tuesday, if possible.
>
> I will be in Brussels most of next week but can do a meeting next Thursday.
>
> We can then release it either Thursday (19th) or Tuesday (24th).
>
> My main question to the CG is that they do want the evolution to an IG put
> as one of the main outputs in the "executive summary"? Right now it's at
> the "next stpes" part of the report.
>
> ----
> Executive Summary
>
> The W3C-OpenSocial Foundation joint workshop on Social Standards: The
> Future of Business convened with the goal to formulate a standardization
> strategy to make "social" a first-class citizen of the Web. The current
> landscape around social applications on the Web is fragmented, holding back
> business results. The Open Web Platform, with W3C's royalty-free patent
> policy, offer a sound base for moving forward. The workshop, hosted by
> AppFusions and sponsored by IBM and the Open Mobile Alliance, featured
> two-days of presentations and intense discussions of challenges, use cases,
> and potential standardization strategies for social. The workshop brought
> together over 70 people from over 50 companies around this theme, ranging
> from start-ups like Crushpath to established enterprise social networks
> like Yammer.
>
> A number of points of consensus emerged:
>
>     The OpenSocial Foundation and W3C co-ordinate to establish one or more
> new Working Group(s) to create the next version of OpenSocial on top of the
> Open Web Platform

+1

There is IMHO a need to allow both users and apps to access back end
services in a privacy oriented way.  This would be a great thing to have a
standard solution for.

>     The common data-format for social activities should be JSON-based
> ActivityStreams, and a new version that supports extensible data formats be
> pursued.

+1

Activity Streams "2.0" is already extensible and looks very promising

>     As the "back-end" of social sites usually involves loosely coupled
> "NoSQL" graph-based data, work on property graphs should be pursued in a
> Community Group.

I'm unsure what NoSQL means, the best definition I know is "Not SQL".  Such
that key/value pairs can be associated with an entity seems to be the
common ground on how to do data, so I suppose that's what this means.  A
slight question about lists is whether they are ordered or not.  For
example linked data by default is unordered, but, for example, JRD links
are ordered.  I think it's something that can become well established going
forward ...

+1 in general

> [...]
> standardized next. Groups formed around the following topics:
>
>     OpenSocial and Gadgets will focus on radical simplification leveraging
> HTML5, moving from the XML definition of a gadget to a situation where AJAX
> requests are performed directly against a page. How context works with
> cross-origin requests and how application tags can be supported by HTML5
> are the next steps.
>     ActivityStreams will focus on a new version, ActivityStreams 2.0, to
> increase extensibility and handle state. There was a large discussion over
> the role of JSON-LD as a syntax for ActivityStreams, but as ActivityStreams
> 2.0 does not depend on it, it was viewed as acceptable.
>     Identity and Profile Federation needs to focus on a set of core
> attributes that show how previous work in the area (vCard, Microformats,
> PortableContacts) can be extended with desired features such as
> skill-levels and certifications. How profiles federate using protocols such
> as Pubsubhubbub is necessary to understand.
>     IndieWeb will focus on user experience, in particular making it much
> easier to use the reply button and work with browsers to make it easier to
> share content.
>     Property Graphs need to have their data model defined, as well as APIs
> and schemas. Potential cross-over work on exploiting property graphs with
> the OpenSocial API should be investigated.
>     Linked Data and vocabularies need to focus on how to create new kinds
> of vocabularies that can enable social business, such as expertise
> vocabularies. R.V. Guha (Google) came to answer questions about licensing
> and transparency. Guha noted that data a company marks up using schema.orgmicrodata still belongs to the website, and so that data cannot be re-used
> without that website's permission, but that he would investigate whether
> changes to the schema.org terms of use were warranted.
>
> Interest in following through with each of above topics was fairly well
> distributed, with more than ten people interested in continuing concrete
> work on each. The idea of a high-level "Social Business Architecture"
> document showing how all the diverse pieces could be put together in a
> use-case driven architecture also attracted significant interest. New
> working groups on ActivityStreams, OpenSocial, and possibly federation
> should be pursued. Property Graphs and Profile work should happen in
> Community Groups in order to reach more maturity. Schema.org would continue
> to work with W3C and other grassroots communities to make its process more
> open and transparent for vocabularies. The Social Business Community Group
> would evolve to handle messaging and co-ordination responsibilities as an
> Interest Group.
>
> All participants are invited to join the Social Business Community Group
> in order to help draft the charters for new work. Even if you missed the
> workshop, you can join the conversation to build the next version of social

Great work Harry.

I'll just quote from Tim's book, "Weaving The Web" -- "The Web is more a
social invention than a technical one" -- let's try and realize the dream!
:)