RE: [SOAP-JMS] minutes 2008-05-20

Heyo,

On 2008-05-22 11:44:21 -0400 Phil Adams <phil_adams@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Of course, my thinking here is restricted to the application server
> environment, since that's what my focus is.   There might be other
> "runtimes"
> out there that want to play in the SOAP/JMS sandbox as well that
> would
> operate differently and might have different testing characteristics.

I suspect that this is what triggered my response.

We deliver JMS as a standalone messaging application; I don't know
that we deliver it within a web application server environment (but I
don't know the entire TIBCO software line, mind).

Doing the least necessary to verify conformance seems to me to be the
key.

We *are* defining at the API level.  That's the only level we *can*
define at, interoperably.  Vendors may be supplying other APIs that
make it easier, but ... fundamentally, we're defining which APIs are
called in order to generate a SOAP message, and which are or should be
called to consume it.

We can't test wire-level conformance, because JMS ain't got it.

We *can* define a serialization, using the same sets of APIs that we
are effectively using to define the protocol, and verify that the
output is conformant/consistent.

Do we need more for bootstrapping than the JNDI environment?

Amy!
(could folks please stop copying the -request list address in
reply-alls?)
--
Amelia A. Lewis
Senior Architect