RE : RE : WS-Addressing

>Considering that JMS does not interoperate between vendors (no protocol),
SOAPonJMS will not interoperate either.
That's correct, there is currently no interoperability between
implementations of JMS (i.e. messaging products).   We specifically
mention this in the spec (IIRC), and our goal with the spec is to define a
way for web service runtimes from different vendors *that are using the
same underlying messaging product* (e.g. WebSphere MQ) to exchange SOAP
messages using JMS.        So, for example, a client which uses JAX-WS
implemented on top of Apache Axis2 could invoke a web service that is
available inside a WebSphere app server, assuming that the JAX-WS/Axis2
and WebSphere platforms both comply with the SOAP/JMS spec AND both
platforms are using the same underlying messaging product (i.e. JMS
implementation).

>So IMHO, the WG work should also care about facilitating / enabling
portability of the user code, even if I understand that APIs (such as
JAX-WS) are not directly a WG issue.
Assuming that you use a programming model that is portable, such as
JAX-WS, and the underlying technologies (e.g. SOAP/JMS) are also supported
by the various runtime vendors, then your user code *should* be portable.
  In fact, one of the goals of the SOAP/JMS spec is (at least indirectly)
to allow user applications that use SOAP/JMS to be portable.    You can
see this in the standard definition of the JMS URI syntax and in the WSDL
elements that are defined in the SOAP/JMS spec.     I agree with you that
the SOAP/JMS WG should care about user code portability and I think we
already care about that and we have addressed it to the degree to which
the SOAP/JMS binding contains features that are exposed to the user (i.e.
JMS endpoint URI, WSDL elements, etc.).

Phil Adams
WebSphere Development - Web Services
IBM Austin, TX
email: phil_adams@us.ibm.com
office: (512) 838-6702  (tie-line 678-6702)
mobile: (512) 750-6599

From:
"TALBOT Jacques (TJA)" <Jacques.TALBOT@teamlog.com>
To:
Phil Adams/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:
"public-soap-jms@w3.org" <public-soap-jms@w3.org>
Date:
08/20/2008 03:35 AM
RE : RE : WS-Addressing

Jacques,
You seem to be mixing programming model issues with issues of the
underlying runtime.
This is correct, but I am not sure I want to apologize since these are in
fact intertwined in real life  :-)

What client programming model are you using in this situation?
JAX-WS

However, I don't think the shortcomings in the client programming model
should be a reason to make the SOAP/JMS spec more than it is intended to
be... that would confuse the issues more than it would clarify them, in my
opinion.    I'm sure my SOAP/JMS WG colleagues will correct me if I'm
wrong, but my opinion of the SOAP/JMS spec is that it is mostly intended
to guide web service runtime vendors to enable them to provide a runtime
that can interoperate with other runtimes when exchanging SOAP messages
over JMS.       It does not, however, touch on the client programming
model nor is it intended to.
Considering that JMS does not interoperate between vendors (no protocol),
SOAPonJMS will not interoperate either.
So IMHO, the WG work should also care about facilitating / enabling
portability of the user code, even if I understand that APIs (such as
JAX-WS) are not directly a WG issue.
Whatever the WG recommend, even if non normative, can be used as an
indication to the toolkit implementors and would help avoiding the
differences we are seeing to-day as soon as you get out of the beaen track
(SOAP RPC on http), which plague developer's life and hamper WS-* rise to
the Gartner plateau of productivity.
Then, in a future release of the spec, or in another W3C spec,  what is
non normative could become normative when best practices will emerge.

My 2 cents
Jacques