RE: Transition Request: First Public Working Group Note (x2)

Of John
> Arwe
> Sent: Thursday, 2009 June 25 13:22
> To: Philipp Hoschka
> Cc: w3t-comm@w3.org; chairs@w3.org; Henry S. Thompson
> Subject: Transition Request: First Public Working Group Note (x2)
>

> Document 1
>
> Title: The SML XLink Reference Scheme Document
> Long URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-sml-xlink-ref-scheme-20090616
> Short URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/sml-xlink-ref-scheme
> Proposed Publication Date: 16 June 2009

John,

The XML Core WG reviewed this document and would like to pass
on to your WG the following comments:

The XLink 1.1 WD is in Last Call [1].  (It has, in fact, already been
through a successful CR period, but we went back to last call so as
to be able to reference the LEIRI spec that clarifies some URI-related
issues, and the generation of the LEIRI note took some time.)  The
XML Core WG now expects to skip another CR and take XLink 1.1 to
PR with all deliberate haste.  Because of this--and because of your
particular use of XLink--the XML Core WG proposes that you redefine the
SML XLink Reference Scheme to use XLink 1.1 rather than XLink 1.0.

In XLink 1.1, the xlink:type attribute with value "simple" is optional,
provided that an xlink:href attribute is present.  Moving to XLink 1.1
would require the following editorial actions to your document:

1) Remove item 1a from Section 2.

2) Add a new item 2c to Section 2, thus:

   c.  If an attribute information item whose [local name] is type,
   whose [namespace name] is http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink is present,
   its content is the string "simple".

3) Update at least one example to remove the xlink:type attribute.

4) Update the References section to refer to XLink 1.1.

5) Optionally add a claim of XLink 1.1 simple conformance.  ("Simple
conformance" is a new term, and means that you understand simple links
but not extended links.)

paul

Paul Grosso for the XML Core WG

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xlink11-20080331/