Re: [EXT] [Equity] Toward a definition

 PS the definition of universal design below is not the definition of universal design.

Universal Design is a PROCESS not a thing.  There are no universal designs

In fact Universal Design and Inclusive design and design for all are all basically the same thing.   Inclusive design is simply a better name for it because people often equate "Universal Design" with "universal designs"  (like there could be such a thing).   Ditto for  Design for All — being confused with "designs for all"

Also - although Ron Mace - who originated the term Universal Design  - originally thought it should be restricted to use as design for disability  —  this was not the majority view of the UD community who felt that  UD meant just that —  the PROCESS of DESIGNING things that would be useful to the broadest range of users of ALL types.    And I think it was used this way in Microsoft as well.  Universal/Inclusive design meaning just that  — inclusive of all.

Just to throw another one in there — there is also Ability-Based Design <https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2018/6/228034-ability-based-design/fulltext> which looks at designing for individuals.     This is an interesting and publicly available paper - that also talks about Universal / Inclusive /Design for ALL.

We need to be looking at the spectrum of approaches and also applications.   When designing a product we can’t design it for a person.   But we also need to recognize that we can’t design a product for all (people with and without their adaptations) — yet we must strive to.   And we must figure out how to provide equity to the functions and services provided by a product.    We don’t know how to do that yet.   But we are making progress.  And the solution will come through a combination of approaches.

What I like about equity — is that it is a GOAL — that we don’t know how to achieve — but that is generic and large enough that all of our efforts can fit within it.   But I do think of it as a goal - a desired outcome — rather than a method or and approach or a process.

Just my thoughts

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@vanderheiden.us