Re: Considering existing AI/Machine-Learning metrics for assessing value quality under WCAG 3.0...

Alistair,

Thank you for sending this to the group! Apologies for the delayed
response, just returning from vacation.

I thoroughly agree about the potential impact of ML in this space! I've
also seen many projects starting to sprout up, like Chrome's ability
to generate
image descriptions <https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9311597>
and Facebook's
as well <https://www.facebook.com/help/216219865403298>, and this kind of
technology can absolutely help in identifying problematic alternative text
just as that SPICE project outlines, as well as helping designers and
authors to write more helpful alternative text.

Similarly to ACT, we'll aim to make the outcomes and overall tests for WCAG
3 clear and understandable, regardless of the mechanisms used for the
actual testing (manual, automated, tooling-supported, etc.). We can also
certainly note opportunities for how different technologies can help make
this more streamlined or better supported, through test tooling, authoring
tools, and the platform itself. With many of us working in that space, I
think spotting those will likely even come naturally.

Looking forward to exploring this with you as we move forward from here!

Much appreciated,

Shawn