From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Friday, October 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM
To: Gregg Vanderheiden <gregg@vanderheiden.us>, "Bradley-Montgomery, Rachael" <rmontgomery@loc.gov>
Cc: "w3c-waI-gl@w3. org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, Silver TF <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Process for WCAG 3.0 document updates

Thanks Gregg. I share many of your concerns.

In WCAG 2.1 we made a mistake in adding proposed SC into the editor’s draft and luckily we caught it before the 1st WD but it was a painful no-win scenario – on one hand there was no way that we were going to go out to public review with >50 new SC that hadn’t been fully vetted, but on the other there were ideas that were important to many people and some had the expectation that once it was in the editor’s draft that it was going to be in the final spec.

I believe that the risk of including content that hasn’t reached consensus into the editor’s draft and the working draft is risky and we will wind up spending more time responding to comments and critiques for unvetted content than we can afford. There is also a problem that I don’t see addressed in your presentation related to how content that is exploratory, maturing, or mature gets removed from the working drafts. Does it require consensus to remove it or consensus to keep it? At what point does this decision happen?

I can envision a proposed criterion that gets put in early and while it does mature to some degree, ultimately has problems (related to conformance or AT support or whatever). The WG may want to remove it but this is strongly opposed by a few individuals and at the same time keeping it in is strongly opposed by just as many or more. I think that this creates more problems than having items need to have consensus for inclusion in the draft.

Several times we have heard requests to add content into WCAG 3.0 that hasn’t been fully vetted by the WG, and the WG has grown increasingly uncomfortable with doing this. The result of that discomfort in August was that the WG agreed that we wouldn’t do that anymore and that the lack of a conformance model couldn’t be ignored any longer as it prevented the WG from fully analyzing proposals. We have heard many times that the ideas that are being proposed are very good and the idea seems to be that once the rest of the WG sees the positive response from the public review they will get it and we will be able to move forward. I don’t agree with that approach – there are many people on the WG with decades of experience and getting consensus across the WG is essential prior to expecting that a less-engaged public will provide additional scrutiny.

Yes, it is super hard to get new things into WCAG, but if you have a great idea then I believe it can run the gauntlet and enter the working draft stronger for that process.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Director, Accessibility