Re: Request from Conformance Options

Hi, Janina. Thanks for following up. I provided that use case when we were exploring the “minimum of difficulty” aspect of the principle, “The solution should enable website visitors with disabilities to accomplish what they want on the site with a minimum of difficulty.”

Not providing an error message when the system detects an error is currently a conformance failure, and is part of the guidelines we’ve been working on in the errors group.

In this use case, the user selects the submit button without entering data in the username or password inputs. The system redisplays the same login page without any modification — no error message, no programmatic indicator, no visual indicator.

Because the context for the error is relatively straightforward, the question is whether the page, view, or screen provides enough information such that the user can “accomplish what they want on the site with a minimum of difficulty” by recognizing why the error occurred and recovering on their own, without the help of an error message.

If so, that would have to be reflected somehow in the conformance model, perhaps through some type of severity or impact measures, or maybe using critical errors or exceptions.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Sarah