W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > July 2021

Minutes from 16 July

From: Sajka, Janina <sajkaj@amazon.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:04:06 +0000
To: "public-silver@w3.org" <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <fb015feed6724c67b8adffce1f206984@EX13D28UWC001.ant.amazon.com>

Minutes from the Silver Task Force and Community Group teleconference of
Friday 16 July are provided here.

===========================================================
SUMMARY:
*            Coordination of content for WBS and AGWG discussion slated for August
              Working Draft
*            Additional review of content groups
*            Current focus is methods and outcomes; new scoring to come in August
*            We need to start planning for TPAC--will be agendum next Friday
===========================================================

Hypertext minutes available at:
https://www.w3.org/2021/07/16-silver-minutes.html

===========================================================
   W3C

                                                                                                            - DRAFT -
                                                                                               Silver Task Force & Community Group

16 July 2021

   IRC log.

Attendees

   Present
          Francis_Storr, jeanne, Jemma, jenniferS, Lauriat, Makoto, mgarrish, PeterKorn, Rachael, sajkaj, sarahhorton, SuzanneTaylor, Wilco

   Regrets
          -

   Chair
          jeanne, Shawn

   Scribe
          sajkaj

Contents

    1. August draft prep
    2. Subgroup check-in

Meeting minutes

   <PeterKorn> I'm only partly here until my coffee finishes brewing

  August draft prep

   <jeanne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Project_Plan_for_Q3_Working_Draft

   jeanne: Asks SH for Errors update ...

   sarahhorton: Have a PR approved by Michael, now need Facilitator approval and merge

   jeanne: Believe we need AGWG approval before we merge

   jeanne: That's the agreed process

   jeanne: Michael is working up a process doc for us

   jeanne: And you're on track to present on 27th? Also, this is just methods; says "scoring to be determined"

   sarahhorton: Yes, also responded to several comments received

   sarahhorton: Methods with some fixes from before; and two new methods

   jeanne: WBS goes 22nd ...

   Rachael: Can be generic WBS unless specific feedback wanted

   sajkaj: Shows only text design

   sarahhorton: Yes, so still a Michael task

   Jemma: Have minor typo edits etc so will be updating PR

   sarahhorton: I'll let him know it needs to be up by the 22nd

   <Jemma> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/wcag3-error-prevention/results

   jeanne: Suggest the fewer questions the more succinctly we can present this as already discussed and reviewed

   sarahhorton: asks about how to do walk through

   sarahhorton: AGWG hasn't seen the two new methods, but it's the same outcomes

   Rachael: maybe a single question--the conversation should still come up

   jeanne: another guideline for august?

   sarahhorton: another in dev, but not by august

   <PeterKorn> Coffee acquired!

   jeanne: Turns to Explainer ---

   jeanne: on for 3 Aug

   jeanne: So for us next Friday 23 July

   jeanne: User Gen also for 23rd here

   jeanne: New ACT for Tuesday?

   Wilco: yes

   Francis_Storr: Will endeavor to get my ACT part in today

   jeanne: Asks Makoto about AGWG on 22nd ...

   makoto want to update

   Makoto: have weekly Tuesday mtg

   Makoto: have 9 public comments from FPWD

   <Makoto> https://github.com/w3c/silver/labels/Subgroup%3A%20Alt%20Text

   Makoto: We've finished drafting responses

   Makoto: draft responses on github

   Makoto: now have 3 more methods

   Makoto: but still reviewing to make sure we didn't miss something

   Makoto: sufficient technique review

   Makoto: comparing against html spec, eo tutorials

   Makoto: believe a few more weeks

   jeanne: asks whether new methods postponed beyond tuesday?

   Makoto: we can show them noting we're still working to clean them up

   jeanne: good, good to get feedback

   jeanne: Suggests returning Alt for the 10th of Aug

   PeterKorn: Notes we're trying to dev example of User Generated for alt

   PeterKorn: could we phps have a joint mtg about how we work that in?

   PeterKorn: would be good for AGWG to have seen without User Gen so that it's something new on the 3rd

   jeanne: Yes, Alt scheduled for next Tuesday, so User Gen would be new on the 3rd

   <jeanne> Janina: The summary of what we want to do in User Generated Content is to allow less than perfect content when ordinary people post information in social media. We do expect owners of social media sites to
   show people the right way to make accessibility and prompt them.

   <jenniferS> What about for an app like Instagram that builds an app that doesn't provide an avenue for users to add alt text?

   <jeanne> Peter: Images on large social media sites have such volume at such a rate, that they cannot be manually addressed

   PeterKorn: volume is too high for platforms to cover and fix

   PeterKorn: believe alt is best prototype for the approach

   jeanne: will be related to atag methods

   <Francis_Storr> One interesting addition to the HTML spec is the concept of "ancillary images" which are "neither purely decorative nor entirely redundant with the text": https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/
   images.html#ancillary-images

   jenniferS: asks about apps that don't prompt; can we say apps should?

   jenniferS: notes twitter finally added but still not ideal

   <PeterKorn> Sorry; my audio dropped.

   <PeterKorn> Be right back.

   <Zakim> Lauriat, you wanted to suggest visual recognition systems as a method as well

   jeanne: that is the atag method; but we may want it in its own outcome

   Lauriat: notes auto recognition systems somewhere better than XX.jpg; but not top-- so another thing to consider

   jeanne: asks Shawn to draft ...

   Lauriat: ok

   Makoto: what about partial conformance of wcag 2.x? user gen has been exception

   Makoto: will there be difference in wcag3?

   PeterKorn: yes, but probably not today ...

   <Lauriat> Also a user agent method, since I just remembered Chrome offers generated alt text on all platforms: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9311597

   PeterKorn: idea is to push to do all that is reasonably feasible should be recognized and credited

   PeterKorn: so we will say "here's what you should do"

   <jeanne> That would be awesome to have a User Agent method as well!

   jeanne: asks whether expecting any new methods for xr captioning

   SuzanneTaylor: not enough participation right now to finalize

   jeanne: so current focus across the board is methods and outcomes; and scoring will come later--august

   jeanne: seems we'll have substantial content for aug wd

  Subgroup check-in

   jeanne: seems we've heard from groups -- anyone else

   jenniferS: re struct content -- still getting the group organized

   jenniferS: hoping to get substantive next week

   jeanne: asks re clear words or visual contrast

   jeanne: maturity?

   <jenniferS> Suzanne - I have a MITRE colleague that could assist with XR captioning. Jordan Higgins. How can he participate?

   jeanne: aware that maturity would like to get some of their content published in august

   jeanne: functional needs?

   jeanne: conformance arch?

   Francis_Storr: will be meeting again monday

   jeanne: notes clear words is meeting again with more coga participation

   [discussion of new member adds]

   PeterKorn: re further coordination between groups

   PeterKorn: anyone looking at media guidance aside from xr?

   jeanne: unfortunately, no

   jeanne: might be good thing to ask from AGWG

   jeanne: or maybe User Generated content?

   PeterKorn: what we have from xr does not cover the usual caption -- so how to do?

   <jeanne> Janina: APA is scheduling joint meetings at TPAC

   <jeanne> Janina: Important to set agenda topics for TPAC joint meetings

   <jeanne> ... Personalizations module should be presented to Silver

   <jeanne> ... APA always meets with CSS

   <jeanne> ... Media Queries 5 is an important area, Janina will get the link to the video of a presentation

   https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/video-examples

   <jeanne> ... Pronunciation task force is looking at different approaches

   <jeanne> Janina: We may want to host a breakout session

   <jeanne> ... Content Usable is a great example of a potential breakout session


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


----------------------------------

Janina Sajka
Accessibility Standards Consultant
sajkaj@amazon.com<mailto:sajkaj@amazon.com>
Received on Friday, 16 July 2021 15:04:51 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 16 July 2021 15:04:53 UTC