Re: [{TBD} Conformance] Minutes for 19 November

Hi all,

May I suggest an alternative? The term "reasonable assurance" is well
defined and commonly used in (financial and risk-based) auditing, in
situations where absolute certainty cannot be provided.

It may be suitable input in the search of an alternative for the term
"substantial conformance". Reasonable assurance means that all prescribed
auditing procedures in a system of quality control were followed *and* that
no deviations from the generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) were
found.

A document about the subject that I collected eight years ago during a
compliance management study appeared to be still available online [1].
When checking the current relevance of reasonable assurance, I found a
document from March 2020 [2] in which reasonable assurance was regarded as
'a core principle', which was 'strongly supported' 'in order to meet
cost-benefit considerations'.

The European Commission uses "presumption of conformity" in its web
accessibility directive 2016/2102 [3].
This term may be legally correct, but personally I'm not fond of it.
Presumption does simply not provide a lot of certainty to those who are not
familiar with the legal meaning of the term.

_______
[1] see
https://pcaobus.org/News/Events/Documents/10052005_SAGMeeting/Reasonable_Assurance.pdf
[2] see https://pcaobus.org/Rulemaking/Docket046/026_Chamber.pdf page 2 *(H:
Core Principles of Potential Approach)* and page 4 *(H: Reasonable
Assurance)*
[3] see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2016/2102/oj?locale=en#d1e846-1-1

Kind regards,

Raph de Rooij