Re: Agenda for Silver Content Meeting of 24 September 2019

Charles writes:

> The attendees were not in agreement of using the terms from EN 501 549
Annex B; OR in being limited to those specific 11 needs

I believe we need to include those pre-existing 11 terms as part of
our Recommendation. I would not be opposed to adding more terms, but
failing to add those pre-existing terms will frustrate take-up in Industry,
who are concerned about meeting legal compliance requirements, of which
those 11 specific needs have been identified legally in the EU. Silver
needs to work in the regulatory environment as well!

> We need to identify and agree on a method of tracking the progress and
preventing overlap on this work – like using GitHub issues.

A huge +1!

I personally am finding it quite difficult to track all of the activity
that is currently underway when all of the notes (etc.) are contained in
Google Docs that are hard to find and follow (especially when comments are
then added to the document).

Additionally, I am finding Google Docs to be inaccessible to me: for
example when attempting to review a Doc remotely on my phone, the text does
not scale or reflow per *SC **1.4.4 Resize text* and *SC 1.4.10 Reflow. *

Additionally, at least one of my non-sighted colleagues here at Deque also
has issues with Google Docs, stating, "*I would give Google Docs a solid D
minus. The **blind **people I know who work at Google don’t even use it. **It
works but it takes a lot of extra steps and is never close to as good an
experience as if it were a simple word or HTML document. Let me try to save
it, email it to myself, converted to Word, and see how it navigates.**" *

They continue, "*My take is Google is where Microsoft was 10 years ago.
Their solution has been to tell screen readers to learn a new set of
shortcut keys that tend to not be derived from any precedent setting
software. For example, in Google drive, one moves a document with the “z”
key and shares with the “.”. In Docs, turning on quick key navigation was
control alt “n” followed by control alt “h” and bloggers and webinars went
out and told us to use those commands. Then a month later they changed
them. I have no idea what they are THIS month."*

*"To get help, they told us to use “less than shift greater than plus
forward slash". Or <shift>+/. Or they could have just said the question
mark.**In Google Docs the control to Create a New Document is not actually
a link or a button. I asked [Deque Colleague] to look at the element in the
DOM and he confirmed it wasn’t a link or button. I called the folks at
Google and they told me it worked fine with ChromeVOX."*

*"The requirement of the user to both learn lots of new commands and to use
flow through keys almost resulted in a resolution at the NFB a year ago." *

I do not believe we should be making that kind of imposition on non-sighted
users - we should be eating our own dog food!

Shawn mentioned moving to Github Issues a number of weeks back, and I look
forward to a proper migration soon.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good