Re: What if Silver didn't have levels?

From: Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 06:31:44 +0200
Cc: lwatson@tetralogical.com, Shawn Lauriat <lauriat@google.com>, "Abma, J.D. (Jake)" <Jake.Abma@ing.com>, "public-silver@w3.org" <public-silver@w3.org>
To: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
As I said before, I like the Léonie’s idea of starting with 100% and then subtracting percentages for ‚less than perfect* stuff. I am not sure whether we need to set some MVP level. If we end up doing that, I just note that several approaches (not just the German) have looked at something around 90 of 100 (percent, or points).

> Am 18.10.2019 um 21:52 schrieb John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>:
>
> What if, instead of missing captions, it was a site missing multiple textual alternatives? What does "missing text alternatives" count for? 1%? 2%? 5%? More?  Is that score based upon each image on a page, a cumulative score of all images on the page, a grand total of all images on all pages, or a representative sampling? Text heavy (or text-only) sites will likely get a positive bump there, whereas image-rich pages/sites may take a biased hit if we base it simply on number of images on a page or site alone. Yet, depending on each actual image, the severity and impact on the end-user of a missing text alternative could conceivably range from merely annoying to out-right dangerous.

We used to make that judgment on a page-based level (states like „property viewer opened“ may be defined as separate pages) and rate each per SC on a five point Likert scale of „pass“, „near pass“, „partly pass“, "near fail“, „fail“ (and non applicable, of course). This judgement reflected both quantitative AND qualitative aspects. Going for full Pass/Fail per SC (when we aligned with the current WCAG conformance approach) did not take the human judgement problem away, it just forced the focus on the Pass/Fail flip-over point (In essence, it meant agonizing about whether or not something could still be called „near pass“, i.e., be within tolerances.)

I believe the agonizing problem of judging tolerances will not go away whatever the scheme we end up with.