Re: Thinking about points

I love this idea and description of critical.

I just wanted to add my comments and question that we lacked time to cover on Tuesday – particularly because the manner in which “impact on users” was conveyed has sparked a tangent discussion on bias.

I don’t see bias in:

  *   identifying functional need
  *   using functional need as a factor in score

All current – and as near as I can tell, all proposed – success criteria have been created exclusively for a specific functional need. 1.1.1 Non-Text Content was written for “usage without vision”. And I will continue to emphasize need over user group, because there is bias in saying “blind people”, as it omits all the other scenarios where a person cannot see. Naming a disability also carries a secondary bias, as it implies a quantifiable demographic. There is no bias in saying that Non-Text Content exists for the benefit of usage without vision. It does not make it any more or less important than any other criteria for any other functional need.

What I have been advocating for and failing to adequately convey is a scoring scenario that acknowledges meeting additional functional needs that the original criteria was not written for. So if 1.1.1 is for usage without vision, and I meet that criteria, I get the baseline points for it. However, if I go beyond that or exceed the criteria by ensuring that the method used also meets additional functional needs, then I get more points for it. For example, if my non-text content includes both alternative text and figure captions that are each written in simple language, and I now meet “usage with limited cognition”. In this scenario, the behavior that is reinforced is always meeting more needs equals earning more points. This also meets the reality of intersectional and complex needs. What this doesn’t account for without a multiplier is what Leoni describes as “Critical”, which is what I was going to ask John. Can we replace the idea of severity meaning impact on author to one where severity is the true impact on users?

So, to me, what all the bias conversations have seemed to miss is in the number of criteria – or now guidelines. The bias is not that the point system is rewarding one need over another. The bias is in one need having more criteria available in support of it. So the way we should be discussing resolving that bias is in new criteria / guidelines.

As to impact on authors or difficulty to implement, I think this is irrelevant. One of many reasons is that a small business can simply use a free template and purchase a third party service to audit it and produce a fully conformant site, and the level of effort was an email and a small check. I am not suggesting we completely dismiss how difficult it is to create fully accessible live captioning or a date picker that works for every input type. But I am suggesting that should not be a factor for conformance. The goal is always to support people who are accessing / using / consuming the site (or app or ICT). The tools used to create will continue to get easier and more robust and cheaper. So today live captioning may be expensive. Tomorrow it won’t. The impact on people will stay the same.

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect

(he//him)
charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com?subject=Note%20From%20Signature>
w 248.203.8723
m 248.225.8179
360 W Maple Ave, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://www.mrm-mccann.com/>

[MRM//McCann]
Relationship Is Our Middle Name

Network of the Year, Cannes Lions 2019
Ad Age Agency A-List 2016, 2017, 2019
Ad Age Creativity Innovators 2016, 2017
Ad Age B-to-B Agency of the Year 2018
North American Agency of the Year, Cannes 2016
Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant 2017, 2018, 2019
Most Creatively Effective Agency Network in the World, Effie 2018, 2019