Re: TED talk on algorithm bias

I did not see any direct conclusions being drawn, from the TED talk that
Jeanne cited, to how WCAG or other future guidelines handle compliance
scoring. Perhaps there was relevant discussion in the Silver Task Force,
but I'm not seeing it here.

There has been much public commentary of the general risks of AI bias. I
cited Joy Buolamwini's talk on data pitfalls and AI bias for multiple
reasons, including that she incorporates data from her research, in
showing some risks of data when one does not think through potential
sources of bias.

The question of how data is used by AI/ML to advance accessibility,
without inadvertently mis-using it, is a useful question to raise, and I
appreciate Jeanne's sharing the TED talk that she did. Yes, we will
increasingly need to rely on data to advance accessibility -- and we
need to be cognizant about how we rely on it.

Jutta's work helps elucidate some of the risks in the field of data
usage in accessibility; also how to potentially address those risks.

Peter Fay, Phill Jenkins and Shari Trewin summarize some of IBM's work
on AI Fairness for people with disabilities here:
https://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view_group.php?id=9666

I'm glad to see people looking into these questions.

- Judy

--
Judy Brewer
Director, Web Accessibility Initiative