Re: Prohibiting authors from disabling Pinch Zoom as failure for Reflow 1.4.10

Alastair,

That all makes sense. We've so far talked about guidelines at the level of
user requirements and methods at the level of what
developers/authors/creators can do to meet them, as well as (still a bit
foggy here) how to assess their implementation of those methods in the
context of the user requirements (task-based assessment).

As such, if no method exists for the developer to meet a user requirement -
supported by user agents / assistive tech / the overall platform - then no
tests would apply to that particular thing until the platform (using as
shorthand for the mess of things making it up) supports a method to meet
it. I do think that the recent conversation on the main WG mailing list, What
is a failure of 1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose?
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2019JanMar/0079.html>,
uncovered two interesting aspects of that guidance that I think we need to
keep in mind for Silver:

   1. Identify Input Purpose
   <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#identify-input-purpose> doesn't include
   anything about user need, only requiring that "The purpose of each input
   field collecting information about the user *can be programmatically
   determined*…" [emphasis mine], which opens up the ability for developers
   to meet the guidance by using a method where we don't have a list of
   assistive tech making use of it.
   2. The autocomplete technique does have support we can point to, while
   we don't have support we can point to for Microdata. How do we best express
   that gap in order to point to the need for a platform to support a new
   technique when we have an existing one (even if limited or not as helpful -
   a general statement, not making a judgement call on using autocomplete)?
   So far, we've talked about uncovering those gaps by calling out methods
   blocked by platform support, but I don't think we have the idea much more
   thought out than that (others, please correct me if that happened and I
   just missed the call or thread). ARIA makes another example, since we know
   of a non-English screen reader that doesn't support ARIA because its
   developers don't understand the ARIA spec well enough to implement it.
   These make just a couple of examples that hopefully show the range of
   support for things so we can talk about what level of support would
   "graduate" a method to recommended for meeting a guideline and how we might
   do so in the most effective way.

Thanks,

Shawn