Re: Proposal for new version of Requirement 3.7 Motivtion

JF wrote:
> Like the television character Mulder in the show X-Files, I too want to
believe. But having filled out more
> than one (US) VPAT over the years, the reality is that "Partially
Supports" (formally "Meets with Exceptions")
> tends to stay that way, and rarely gets fixed.

Very cute. Well played, sir.

JF also wrote:
> If Detlev's user "passes" something, Denis' user "struggles but completes
the task", and my user is "stopped
> dead in the water" - all on the same page/site simply due to varying
experience levels... how do we square that
> circular problem?

But surely, we all agree that the measurements or findings coming from the
usability testing the three of us hypothetically conduct to inform about
the inherent problems of a site contribute to identifying further issues.
By conducting these tests, we ultimately get to address new sets of  issues
and the process brings expected additional value. Issues found through
usability testing, as opposed to issues found through say, automated or
manual testing, tend to otherwise be missed by non-disabled accessibility
experts who just happen to know about WCAG. The kind of issues that are
raised by people with disabilities in usability testing will usually
relate to things we could easily miss just because we don't have those
disabilities ourselves. And that level of findings, when addressed,
definitely pushes the quality of the product further.

And JF finally wrote:
> Many of Deque's clients have thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of
web "pages", and measuring
> conformance at that scale is already problematic. Introducing
user-testing into that scenario just made
> accessibility conformance testing significantly more expensive, and any
final conformance model will
> need to address this scale problem. User testing for conformance might
work at the boutique level,
> but at the enterprise level it's a bit of a pipe-dream... (IMHO)

Well, that's simply not true. The number of pages a site contains has very
little impact on the overall cost of usability testing when what you are
testing are flows, happy and not-so-happy paths, and precise tasks that you
are testing to validate some assumptions you may have about parts of the
interactions of interfaces you may have doubts about. This is not something
that only boutique shops should be able to do. This is something that can
just as easily be conducted by software companies, or big IT corporations,
if only those who work there get the value of why the whole effort is with
their time, energy and resources.

The problem is not whether usability is a pipe-dream in larger, more
complex contexts. I mean, quality and accessibility could just as easily be
considered pipe-dreams if we look at it that way.

/Denis

*Denis Boudreau, CPWA* | Principal Accessibility SME & Training Lead
| 514-730-9168
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good
Deque.com <http://www.deque.com>