Re: Partial conformance

The challenge is writing a requirement generic enough to cover a
situation where we don't have the answer yet how to do it, and still
making it measurable enough for a requirement.

Silver has been accused of being "aspirational" many times in the past.
We have been careful not to put anything in the Requirements that we
don't know how to do.  We want to do "substantially conforms" (partial
conformance is a different concept and we want to keep them separate).
It showed up repeatedly in the Silver Research that "substantially
conforms" is a need of organizations with large or complex sites.  When
we want to prototype it last summer, we discovered it was a lot more
difficult than we expected.  The proposals we made had a lot of problems
that were potentially detrimental to people with disabilities.  We don't
want to put in a Requirement that is aspirational -- that could be
detrimental -- until we know it can be done well.

Please keep in mind that we *do *want to include "substantially
conforms".  We are being careful to do it well. AGWG will have another
opportunity  to discuss this in detail when we do the third and final
pass on the Requirements in the fall. During the first pass on the
Requirements, AGWG asked us to add a Requirement for Technology
Neutral.  We declined until we knew how to do it.  We worked on it and
presented a proposal that AGWG generally accepted in the second pass on
the Requirements.  Please give us the time to do "substantially
conforms" right.

We talked about these proposals in the Silver meeting today, and decided
to include the key bullet Alastair proposed (that conformance has to
work for large and small organizations) and put it in 3.8 Scope:

    The guidelines provide guidance for people and organizations that
    produce digital assets and technology *of varying size and
    complexity*. Our intent is to provide guidance for a diverse group
    of stakeholders including content creators, browsers, authoring
    tools, assistive technologies, and more.

jeanne