Re: Costs of testing with Silver

Wilco writes:

> You argue that it's economically viable for web developers to do a free
WCAG 2 audit for every $5k website, as a standard practice.

Not at all. I have not said that, and I do not know where you are pulling
those numbers from.

I'm arguing that if the developers use the requirements and techniques
articulated in WCAG, they won't be having to go looking for problems, they
will instead be confirming that no problems exist. An audit comes at the
end: shift left, and have the developers do the right thing in the first
place, thus your "audit" is nothing more than your already existing QA task
- it's one and the same, not separate.

Additionally, I am suggesting that any web dev shop that sells
"accessibility" as an additional line-item cost on their invoice is already
a shop thinking about accessibility wrongly. When I order a meal in a
restaurant, I don't pay for the food, and then pay the energy cost to cook
that food separately. Web dev shops care about accessibility, or they
don't. The "cost" of doing accessibility is a red herring in that context:
the real cost is in learning how to do things correctly, not in running an
audit at some fixed point in time - a point we've also been making in the
mainstream for ages now.

Your argument is similar to saying that mechanics will change your brakes
for $30, but if you want them to also do a safety check to make sure those
brakes work, it's an additional $100. If a web dev shop wants to price
their services that way, all the power to them. But to say that their
pricing model should influence levels of conformance within WCAG is the
tail wagging the dog: it perpetuates the wrong idea that accessibility is a
separate, additional feature, a line item that can be added or removed to
adjust the bottom line.

Finally, you argue that it's cost that is stopping smaller shops from doing
accessible web development - which I would also question. Do you have any
proof, besides an anecdotal observation that 10 years ago when we moved
from WCAG 1.0 to WCAG 2.0 that smaller shops in the Netherlands stopped
caring or checking for accessibility conformance? And what is more
important? An accessible site today, or a piece of paper dated 12 months
ago that said that you found my site to be accessible back then?

Again, I don't want to ignore cost, but I do want to keep it in
perspective, and in the perspective of a standards org that writes
standards, specifically a standard that ensures access to as many PwD as we
can achieve, and not the accounting office of small businesses that turns
over every penny. I am sympathetic to cost, but only to a point - I am more
concerned that we don't leave users behind because it "costs the dev team
too much" to do.

I'm more focused on the priority of constituents: Users over Authors,
Authors over Implementers, and Implementers over Code Purity. All I am
saying is when we have a discussion on cost, I believe it is important we
keep that principle in mind as well.

JF

--
*John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist

Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good

deque.com