Re: Costs of testing with Silver

Thanks for putting this together Wilco, it’s really interesting to see how you’ve modelled the costs.

Regarding the idea of ‘light’ versions of guidance, this is something that we are looking at but using a slightly different lens. Different services are going to require different levels of accessibility guidance based on the complexity of the components that are used and the different interaction methods that are employed. One of our current ideas in dealing with this is to look at the concept of a tagging system that can be used to categorise conformance methods based on different criteria. These criteria can be things like technology, project role, accessibility area, and of course website type. This means that users will be able to search for, and filter, guidance based on queries such as:

“I am looking for [Getting Started] advice for all guidelines that deal with [Visual Accessibility]”
“I develop using [generic coding language] and am looking advice on implementing [Cognitive Accessibility]”
“I am making an [e-commerce site], show me all the things I should look at”

Whilst this doesn’t look at the concept of accessibility cost directly, it does begin to show how we can narrow down the scope of applicable guidance and methods for individuals based on a more personalised experience. Of course, with this it is looking at accessibility from a proactive standpoint instead of the retrospective standpoint used within testing but I don’t see an issues in this type of thing being adapted to work with both.

I hope that this explanation helps. We’re currently in the process of putting together a prototype system to show how this system will work going forward and I’ll make sure to pass it on when it is working.

Best Regards

Mike

[University of Dundee shield logo]<http://uod.ac.uk/sig-home>

Dr Michael Crabb
Lecturer (Human Computer Interaction)
School of Science and Engineering, University of Dundee
+44 (0)1382 385491 | m.z.crabb@dundee.ac.uk<mailto:m.z.crabb@dundee.ac.uk>

[University of Dundee Facebook]<http://uod.ac.uk/sig-fb> [University of Dundee Twitter] <http://uod.ac.uk/sig-tw>  [University of Dundee LinkedIn] <http://uod.ac.uk/sig-li>  [University of Dundee YouTube] <http://uod.ac.uk/sig-yt>  [University of Dundee Instagram] <http://uod.ac.uk/sig-ig>  [University of Dundee Snapchat] <http://uod.ac.uk/sig-sc>

One of the world's top 200 universities<http://uod.ac.uk/sig-strapline>
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018