Re: Costs of testing with Silver

Hi Wilco,

I'm certainly not suggesting that you wish to "ignore the needs of certain
people", only that a simplified (no cost/low cost) testing strategy may
cause a false sense of "success", or somehow diminish the need for robust
testing, which ultimately does leave more users behind.

It's easy to argue that Site A at "70% accessible" is better than Site B at
"35% accessible", and in a positive light that equals one site that is
twice as accessible as another, but in either instance the sites are still
inaccessible to between 30% and 65% of their potential users. I struggle
with that, and I further struggle with us saying that 70% is good enough
for smaller or "simpler" sites and shops that cannot (or will not) pony up
to do the proper testing. To my thinking, half-baked testing is as lousy as
no testing to the end user.

Looking at your bullet points:

> - Shift responsibilities over to UA and AT vendors, instead of content
authors. For example have ATs solve the issue of single key shortcuts, and
require browsers to always have a visible tab focus for keyboard users.

I fully support that idea, however *HOW* do we accomplish that? The W3C
does not have a mandate or mechanism to force anyone to do anything, and so
while the idea is right in principle, implementation remains, well, where
we are today.

Have I given up hope? No, but I am also pragmatic in thinking that vendors
alone won't solve some of the problems, especially as the impacted
user-group decreases in volume. Today, all browsers *DO* have native
visible tab focus indication (with at least a few using an indication that
fails contrast requirements), but thanks to author control, that visible
tab focus can be "turned off", and I'll bet a year's salary that no browser
will remove that ability any time soon.

Additionally, not all accessibility issues are hardware or software-based
issues: often it is content being created by the site owner that is
introducing the issues. We've all seen this multiple times, especially when
authors are using CMS tools, where the templates may be "accessible", and
yet the content author writes about clicking on the round red button on the
right - another "easy" accessibility problem to point out, but I'm not sure
that the kinds of no-cost/low-cost testing strategies such as you are
proposing could capture that problem. (Given internationalization concerns,
I struggle to think of any automated test that could be applied directly to
authored content)

> - Use more requirements such as parsing that look for bad practices known
to lead to inaccessible content, instead of things that are directly
inaccessible. Those things tend to be much easier to test (think "don't
skip heading levels")

While I understand your point, the example you pointed out is only really
an issue to screen reader users, as sighted users generally don't see the
"level", but rather the outcome when that "level" has been styled. A
heuristic test like that is still important, don't get me wrong, but it is
but a sliver of the number of issues that can be found, and again relies on
"structure" as opposed to "content", which at least 10 of the current WCAG
2.0 SC are dependent on successfully meeting today.

> - Remove some of the complexities and exceptions in the entry level. For
example the "media alternative for text". Maybe we have a "simple sites"
version of Silver that doesn't have this stuff, but a "complex site" which
allows them, but adds in stuff that's rarely a problem on simple sites.

Again, I understand the larger point, but with that approach we have to
also declare, formally, the difference between a "simple" site and a
"complex" site.
Is a one page site that features a professor's video lecture at a
university "simple" or "complex"? Why?

That discussion could go either way: on the simple side it's a web page
with a single heading, a video rendering area, and a footer that says
"Copyright XYZ University". Yet because that single, simple page contains a
video, it has an additional slew of requirements that cannot be accurately
machine tested.

Moving beyond that, say that the single page I just outlined was one of a
total of 5 pages created by the Professor, and all of the 5 pages use the
same basic template (header, nav, main, footer). It would be very easy to
claim it's a "simple" site (because 80% of it is), but the remaining 20%
(the video page) is "complex". Now what?

If four of the 5 pages "pass", yet the video page is an abject failure, I
can see the site owner arguing "ya, but I got an 80% pass score" but the
impacted blind, deaf, or deaf/blind users are still left with...
potentially nothing. This is the concern - that, and defining what is
"simple" versus what is "complex", which is another subjective call at a
higher level.

> - Remove ambiguities and technology agnostic language from definitions.
Even if we do it just for HTML and SVG. If we can make it unambiguous,
that's even better because that means it's automatable.

+1 to removing ambiguity, although I am less sure about removing technology
agnostic language from the definitions or Success Criteria.
Since the beginning, WCAG 2.0 has mostly been about functional outcomes,
and not methods of meeting a specific SC (which is one of the reasons why
Techniques are both non-normative, and outside of the normative spec), and
so keeping the ideas open and broad, without specific techniques, is a goal
I would continue to support.

All of these things help reduce the costs of accessibility testing without
impacting PwD in the slightest.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here: if the tests *aren't*
impacting PwD (in a positive way), why are we testing? To prove we did a
test? (That again sounds like check-box accessibility, WCAG 1.0-style)

Don't get me wrong, the more we can do to make 'testing' easier, faster,
cheaper, and more accurate is a goal I fully support. My concern arises
when we start to suggest that "accessibility testing" is but a button click
away, and that needing to *think* about accessibility is less important
than using patterns that match accessibility techniques. That's because, as
experienced professionals, we all know that half the time, the answer to
any given accessibility question usually starts out with, "That depends..."

I recognize that cost is a factor, I really do. But to my mind, quality
must supersede cost if we truly want to benefit the target audience of PwD.
Focusing on the lowest common denominator (make it cheap) also has a cost -
to the end user. It's not a trade-off I personally am comfortable with.

JF