Re: Costs of testing with Silver

Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure where you are getting your research from, but I'm gong to
question that statement.

Perhaps Canadian provincial legislation might not reference WCAG directly
(such as AODA), but one of the key reasons for the way WCAG 2.1 was
structured and developed was to ensure it did NOT impact the Section 508
refresh (which maps directly back to WCAG), a point of significant concern
to more than one legal entity that commented early on the process.

E205 Electronic Content

E205.1 General. Electronic content shall comply with E205.

E205.2 Public Facing. Electronic content that is public facing shall
conform to the accessibility requirements specified in E205.4.

E205.4 Accessibility Standard. Electronic content shall conform to Level A
and Level AA Success Criteria and Conformance Requirements in WCAG 2.0
(incorporated by reference, see 702.10.1).

(source:
https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/final-rule/text-of-the-standards-and-guidelines#E205-content
)

Additionally, caution was also exercised to ensure our work did not
negatively impact the European Union's *EN 301 549 - Accessibility
requirements suitable for public procurement of ICT products and services
in Europe, - V1.1.2* which *normatively references WCAG*:

*Normative references*

The following referenced documents are necessary for the application of the
present document.

   1. ETSI ETS 300 381: "Telephony for hearing impaired people; Inductive
   coupling of telephone earphones to hearing aids".
   2. ETSI ES 200 381-1: "Telephony for hearing impaired people; Inductive
   coupling of telephone earphones to hearing aids Part 1: Fixed-line speech
   terminals".
   3. ETSI ES 200 381-2: "Telephony for hearing impaired people; Inductive
   coupling of telephone earphones to hearing aids; Part 2: Cellular speech
   terminals".
   4. *W3C Recommendation (11 December 2008)/ISO/IEC 40500:2012: "Web
   Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 ".*

(source: http://mandate376.standards.eu/standard/references)

This seems to contradict your assertion to some extent, for while these
recent legislations do not in fact re-publish WCAG 2.0, they both
normatively reference that Recommendation as *the* standard upon which
success or failure will be judged against (at least for web/digital
content).

A lot of time and effort has been applied towards international
harmonization of accessibility standards and laws, and I for one would be
quite surprised if that activity would be jettisoned in favor of a Tower of
Babel approach to legislated web accessibility.

JF

--
*John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist

Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good

deque.com