RE: Can Silver have normative technology specific requirements?

First a short remark / question:

-          “It had 4 layers, 3 layers were normative (Principles, Guidelines, Success criteria) an one layer (technology specific techniques) that were non normative.  “

Are the SC not the only normative aspect of WCAG, not the Principles and Guidelines?

-          “The WCAG 2.0, 12 guidelines would expand in their role and become general guidelines under which these methods could be grouped.”

We had to make multiple decisions on to where a SC should live, under which specific Guideline. Also we have techniques under multiple SC. So I guess you don’t mean here to group methods under a specific guideline, but tag the methods with whatever guidelines we will have?

-          “Making methods normative…”

This means each method will become a “sufficient method” for one or more guidelines? And which ones exactly if there are more? And we don’t need to conform to all methods because you don’t need to  / can’t follow them all? Or have a solution which may not be a method (yet) but solves the A11Y problem. But all guidelines must be fulfilled while not being normative?

Just as Wilco mentioned I see we will never be “complete” in methods and leave room for other / new / innovative solutions to make them normative and not the guidelines.

David, maybe I read it wrong and you’ve thought about it already than I would love to hear from you what your ideas are. Will it be possible to provide a concrete example on your thoughts?

Cheers!
Jake