W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > May 2018

minutes of the Silver meeting of 25 May 2018

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 15:30:21 -0400
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <fd64e224-d1a4-0ce4-6225-7608e2b6a7e7@spellmanconsulting.com>
Formatted version of the minutes:

https://www.w3.org/2018/05/25-silver-minutes.html


Text version:

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                  Silver Community Group Teleconference

25 May 2018

Attendees

    Present
           Charles, s, jeanne, LuisG, kirkwood, Jan, Angela

    Regrets
           Shari, chaals, Shawn

    Chair
           jeanne

    Scribe
           LuisG

Contents

      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]Requirements document
          2. [4]Conformance Prototype
          3. [5]Project Plan updates
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      * [7]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    Jeanne: Anyone on the call with GitHub expertise?
    ... Let's start with requirements document.

    <jeanne> [8]https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/

       [8] https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/

Requirements document

    Jeanne: finally in a fairly polished state. Put it in W3 format
    and put it on Github.
    ... going to have to change status of the document because
    we're not officially chartered to do W3C Recommendations track
    work.

    <jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to update Requirements with the
    Community Group SOTD

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-181 - Update requirements with the
    community group sotd [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-06-01].

    Jeanne: is it me or is there nothing in this except for doc
    outline?

    <Charles> so, if the PR is accepted and somehow pushed, the
    styles would be visible here?
    [9]https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/guideline-detail-pag
    e.html

       [9] https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/guideline-detail-page.html

    ~general github pages troubleshooting discussion~

    <Charles> see here: [10]https://github.com/w3c/silver/branches

      [10] https://github.com/w3c/silver/branches

    <chaals> jeanne, ping

Conformance Prototype

    Jeanne: While we're working on that in the background, why
    don't we...

    <jeanne>
    [11]https://docs.google.com/document/d/13v22c045j4QfUlohjyu-kz4
    6smamXavL-pIndWetel0/edit

      [11] https://docs.google.com/document/d/13v22c045j4QfUlohjyu-kz46smamXavL-pIndWetel0/edit

    Jeanne: right now it has no structure. It's just a copy/paste

    <chaals> [12]The document Jeanne wants to show

      [12] https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/prototypes/ConformancePrototype.html

    Jeanne: Oh! I was missing the slash master
    ... in the meantime we'll see if we can get the requirements
    document visible.
    ... might be able to get it in rawgit which would be good
    ... Some background, this is the action item I took on Tuesday
    to start moving conformance prototype...to writing it all down
    andmoving it into Github
    ... it's also in a tool the W3C uses for specifications called
    Respec- there is a button for that in the upper-right corner.
    It does a lot of the background W3C information. If I did it
    right it builds table of contents, definitions, all kinds of
    useful specification type information.
    ... the first part is the abstract. I'm not sure what people
    think about that, but feel free to create issues on the
    document and anything you see, bring it up and I'll take notes.

    Charles: First thing I see...conceptually as we work through
    prototypes, we might need a naming convention that shows which
    version

    Jeanne: That's a very good idea.
    ... it's definitely an issue we need to talk about more: if
    we're going to have multiple prototypes

    Charles: At the very least, for all or our work in this phase,
    some portion needs to be versioned or iterated so when we test,
    we're testing against something that exists and testing against
    versions

    Jeanne: Trying to give links to various support documents.
    Somehow link to problems wiki page didn't come through.
    ... Why don't we start by looking at overall conformance. we
    talked about this a little on Tuesday.
    ... I started with LEED green building certification and using
    that...thought about the point system to allow us to address
    needs of different types of sites..so we wouldn't have the same
    requirements for a large company as a small company
    ... Linked to the notes Jan types up from AccessU session. Some
    of the things fo rthe points system. Some of the concerns
    people raised that they want to see us address.
    ... this would be easier to work on in Google Docs because we
    can make comments more easily than issues in Github

    <Charles> I have an update on Plain Language volunteers

Project Plan updates

    Charles: Not sure if everyone on the call is privvy to previous
    milestones in this recruiting effort. I stumbled upon a
    coworker is vice chair for center for plain language an
    offshoot of original agency for US gov't plain language
    guidelines that IRS and other agencies now use. In the Center
    for plain language they just had a major annual meeting and all
    board members were hesitant to volunteer for other efforts, but
    he offered to reach out to the entire group.

    Just today got back 3 volunteers. Sarah Green, Cath Strob, and
    Janna Goldman

    scribe: all interested in volunteering their expertise
    ... sent a follow up to them this afternoon. Hopefully will get
    them connected as community group members and joining that
    prototyping effort

    Jeanne: That is great news. Can you send contact information to
    me and Shawn so we can start including them in what we're
    working on for plain language?

    Charles: Sure, I can forward you my original response to them.

    Jeanne: Want to also include Angela? She's also working on
    plain language.
    ... We were emailing about setting up experiment on the 4 WCAG
    success criteria we picked out a few weeks ago.
    ... we will include them in that email which is great.

    <jeanne>
    [13]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTi
    XXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit#gid=0 <- Project Plan

      [13] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit#gid=0

    Jeanne: I had an action item to talk to Angela, we emailed
    instead.

    <jeanne> open actions <-
    [14]https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/
    open

      [14] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/open

    Jeanne: so Charles was working on moving requirements document
    to github and incorporate edits...not sure how far he got. I
    also moved conformance prototype into github.

    <jeanne> [15]https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/requirements/

      [15] https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/requirements/

    Jeanne: rawgit gives us a better look...
    ... it's not formatted nicely, but it has the content in it
    beyond just the outline

    Design Pricniple 1: 'people' is missing

    Requirements number 2: Change to "structure is flexible and
    forgiving for unanticipated needs"

    Rework first paragraph of the requirements. It's too detailed.

    The first sentence is only about the WCAG and doesn't include
    Authoring Tool/User Agent Guidelines

    Jeanne: Requirements document should be in a more final state
    on Tuesday.

    Charles: Future agenda items...when do you anticipate bringing
    TPAC back up as a topic

    Jeanne: I have new info on that!
    ... before we move on, any more updates on the project plan?

    <chaals> [16]make a new github issue for silver

      [16] https://github.com/w3c/silver/issues/new

    Jeanne: need to figure out a labeling system and...we need to
    figure out how to work on Github

    <chaals> [note that issues are for the whole repository, so if
    you want to make an issue on a particular document, please name
    it in the issue]

    <jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to contact the Github experts to get
    help setting up a workflow for Github.

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-182 - Contact the github experts to
    get help setting up a workflow for github. [on Jeanne F
    Spellman - due 2018-06-01].

    Charles: Fine having it in github if it's more convenient.

    Jeanne: Eventually need to move into Gihub because that's where
    all the W3C tools are. How quickly do we move there? I'm
    willing to try jumping in for the requirement document, but
    just right now we're not as prepared.

    Luis: And Github is more transparent.

    Charles: It's immediately public.

    Jeanne: Provided you know the github.io address
    ... we can tie anything in Github into the Community Group and
    publish on CG page linked to Github
    ... and that sends out notifications, etc.
    ... There are a lot of advantage of moving to github. We just
    need to make sure that we can use it and that people that want
    to participate can also use it.
    ... I have an action item from last Tuesday to contact people
    at MS to see if we can get some insight into what they did for
    MSDN because htye have a custom accessible front end.
    ... Angela are you connected to that?

    Angela: I used to be, but I can reach out to someone I know.

    Jeanne: We'll talk again on tuesday and hopefully these
    documents will be more visible.

    ~general weekend well wishing~

    <jeanne>
    [17]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6VFGAP_eGYci1BMG9fakZ1Q
    0ZpN283VEtiX203djN2VHBB

      [17] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6VFGAP_eGYci1BMG9fakZ1Q0ZpN283VEtiX203djN2VHBB

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to contact the Github experts to get help
    setting up a workflow for Github.
    [NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update Requirements with the Community
    Group SOTD

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 25 May 2018 19:30:52 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:23:53 UTC