W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > May 2018

Minutes of the Silver meeting of 15 May 2018

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 10:54:36 -0400
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <80939779-5fc3-f94c-382e-71dbaedee929@spellmanconsulting.com>
Formatted minutes:
https://www.w3.org/2018/05/15-silver-minutes.html


Text of minutes:

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                  Silver Community Group Teleconference

15 May 2018

Attendees

    Present
           LuisG, JakeAbma, alastairc, Lauriat, Jennison, Roy,
           MichaelC, kirkwood, jaeunjemmaku, jeanne, Imelda,
           Charles

    Regrets

    Chair
           Shawn, jeanne

    Scribe
           jeanne

Contents

      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]Requirements document review and next steps
          2. [4]Design PRinciples draft
          3. [5]project plan updates and next steps
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      * [7]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

Requirements document review and next steps

    Shawn: We had a meeting with the AGWG chairs on Friday to work
    on a plan of how we will work together.
    ... trying to figure out how to simultaneously work on WCAG 2.2
    and Silver
    ... we are not going to recharter this year, we will keep
    working on Silver, but will publish editor's drafts instead of
    FPWD.

    Jennison: Does that change our timeline?

    Shawn: No, it is the same timeline, but will have a different
    status on the documents
    ... the Requirements document is the first thing we want to get
    approved by the group
    ... we will write a more high level requiremnts document, then
    flesh it out as we do more user testing

    Charles: Will the Editors draft be high level, or will it be
    segmented?

    Shawn: we will have a detailed structure, and add content as we
    get WCAG translated

    Jeanne: I recommend detailed structure, and limited content
    that can be increased as the year progresses.

    <jemma> +1

    Shawn: I want to work on the Requirements and review what
    Charles has written for the Design Principles
    ... we wanat to stay focused on: These are the problems we want
    to solve with Silver.

    <alastairc> +1, there are key things to present & agree before
    an official pub, such as conformance model and structure.

Design PRinciples draft

    Charles: These are high level statements. This is a techneque
    used in standards work to help work into requiremnts
    ... Support more people with disabilites
    ... Include more global considerations and participation.

    Be written in simple language.

    Be measurable, but not dependent on passing all criteria.

    Be flexible to emerging needs.

    Be about and for people – not technology.

    Be open to the world (feedback and contribution).

    Be accessible.

    <scribe> scribe: jeanne

    Shawn: I think measureble is too detailed

    <jemma> does "silver becoming practice guide" mean that it will
    not be part of WCAG?

    jeanne: I think we should drop the clause that makes it more
    detailed and just say be measurable. '

    Charles: We need a mechanaism for feedback and change of how
    the world is using Silver

    Shawn: I think 8 and 3 are very similar

    Luis: ??

    <LuisG> yes, luis

    Alastair: Do we have to also state what in WCAG 2 is being
    intentionally kept? It would also be useful to specify what we
    want to maintain as well as what we want to change
    ... Include how we will work out the potential conflicts
    between WCAG 2 and Silver would be overcome

    <Lauriat>
    [8]https://www.w3.org/TR/2006/NOTE-wcag2-req-20060425/

       [8] https://www.w3.org/TR/2006/NOTE-wcag2-req-20060425/

    <LuisG> I think with 3 and 8, they're saying different things,
    but we're getting hung up on 8 including the phrase "the
    world." I think what 8 is saying is that it should be easy to
    give feedback and contribution.

    <alastairc> Um, less between WCAG 2.0 and Silver, more between
    the conflicting requirements for Silver (e.g. ambiguity of
    criteria vs plain language).

    Shawn: It's useful to look at the requirements of WCAG 2.0 when
    it was transitioning from WCAG 1.0

    <jemma> The primary goal of WCAG 2.0 is the same as 1.0: to
    promote accessibility of Web content. Additional goals
    discussed in this document are: Ensure that requirements may be
    applied across technologies Ensure that the conformance
    requirements are clear Design deliverables with ease of use in
    mind Write to a more diverse audience Clearly identify who
    benefits from accessible content Ensure that the revision is
    "backwards and forward compatible"

    <jemma> this is what Shawn read from above url

    Imelda: Is there a visual that describes the overlap of WCAG 2
    and Silver

    <alastairc> Thanks Charles, good solution for that part.

    Charles: Lets add a sentence to say we are building on WCAG 2?

    Shawn: But we also are building on other accessibility
    guidelines

    Jemma: In emerging needs are you talking about emerging needs
    of technology or emerging needs of people with disaiblites?

    Shawn: both.

    <Charles> I made a visual for my GAAD presentation that
    attempts to show the overlap of the AG and CG:
    [9]https://drive.google.com/open?id=19BmvbJNKfGlSbNnFpq52SRIacF
    3tk7oV

       [9] https://drive.google.com/open?id=19BmvbJNKfGlSbNnFpq52SRIacF3tk7oV

    Jemma: We are trying to reduce vagueness, so we should be more
    clear in the principles

    Jeanne: I think we could include this in the principles

    Shawn: We don't want it to be restrictive

    Luis: Should we talk about having the content based on more
    data and research

    Charles: +1

    <Zakim> alastairc, you wanted to ask whether we need to be
    explicit about things that should be retained from 2.0, and
    also whether we can state how conflicting requirements will be
    dealt

    Charles: Be research based or evidence based

    Luis: Be data informed

    Shawn: That might not be clear
    ... I put a placeholder for that principle in the Design
    Principles

    Alastair: Should we say we will include improving accessiblity
    through process
    ... if it were scoped to asking a process of "did you include
    this?" recommending process instead of a discrete success
    criteria

    Shawn: This comes into the use cases, but it isn't covered by
    the principles

    Michael: I think some of this should be left to the prototype

    <jemma> These are the concepts I read for each principle. 1.
    extended coverage of disability 2. inclusiveness 3. broadened
    participation 4. measurability 5. flexibility for change;
    people and technology 6. priority for people, not technology 7.
    easy feedback process 8. accessibility of the guideline. 9.
    data informed.

    Michael: whether the research is linked to the guidelines, that
    should be part of the prototype

    Shawn: Be data informed and evidence based.
    ... Strive to be data informed and evidence based.

    Jemma: Why did we remove 7?

    Charles: we merged it with 3

    Jennison: Be accessible should have Be accessible and useable?
    ... because we want to make it easier to use and gives a nod to
    the usability and accessibility continuum.

    Jemma: +1

    <jemma> meta comment, Michael?

    Charles: I struggle with that because useable is more a degree

    Michael: This might be reactive to WCAG 2, the design
    principles should stand on their own.
    ... if we are thinking about "more" then we might miss some new
    ideas for Silver

    <scribe> ACTION: Shawn to work on the Requiremnts/ Design
    Principles this week.

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-176 - Work on the requiremnts/ design
    principles this week. [on Shawn Lauriat - due 2018-05-22].

    Shawn: The Design Principles will be the introduction to the
    Requirements

project plan updates and next steps

    <Charles>
    [10]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hharMRHLrqALWjcBp9M_F-u
    ZPEh73wt8Bgoe47Yfnjo/edit?usp=sharing

      [10] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hharMRHLrqALWjcBp9M_F-uZPEh73wt8Bgoe47Yfnjo/edit?usp=sharing

    Charles: I have updated the recruitng for the IA
    ... I wrote a definition in the Information Design tasks.

    Jeanne: Would everyone please review this document and be
    prepared to discuss it on Friday?

    'chair: Shawn, jeanne

    <scribe> ACTION: Imelda to design a visual to help explain the
    relationship between WCAG 2 and Silver

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-177 - Design a visual to help explain
    the relationship between wcag 2 and silver [on Imelda Llanos -
    due 2018-05-22].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Imelda to design a visual to help explain the
    relationship between WCAG 2 and Silver
    [NEW] ACTION: Shawn to work on the Requiremnts/ Design
    Principles this week.

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 15 May 2018 14:54:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:31:42 UTC