W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > March 2018

Minutes of Silver meeting of 16 March 2018

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:21:38 -0400
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <904e6f4a-8190-24e0-469b-33aa3278fc96@spellmanconsulting.com>
Formatted minutes:
https://www.w3.org/2018/03/16-silver-minutes.html


Text of Minutes:

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                     Silver Task Force Teleconference

16 Mar 2018

Attendees

    Present
           Jan, Charles, Shari, Jeanne, Kelsey, Imelda, Jemma,
           Shawn, Camron

    Regrets
           David

    Chair
           jeanne, shawn

    Scribe
           Lauriat

Contents

      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]last minute details for Design Sprint
      * [4]Summary of Action Items
      * [5]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

last minute details for Design Sprint

    Jeanne: Can anyone print up name tags for participants? Just
    realized we should have these.

    Shari: Sure, I can do that.

    Jeanne: Thank you! [+1 from me]
    ... How many people do we have, so I can check the room?

    Shawn: We have exactly 30. Adding Michael makes 31.

    Jeanne: Getting materials, flipchart, tape, and such. Let's
    start with Camron, to talk through activities to figure out
    what exactly we need.

    Camron: I'll talk through things. We'll have 30 of the most
    influential, knowledgeable people on accessibility in the room
    and we really want to make the most of the two days that we
    have.
    ... On day 0, we have a meet and greet on Sunday. Jeanne, will
    you be there?

    <silver> I have a confilct so I have to leave the meeting
    around 9 ish. I would like to know what arrangement will be
    needed for the payment of foods.

    Jeanne: Yes, Charles and I will be there.

    Camron: Getting to know the other people in the group helps out
    a lot. Getting to know perspectives, background, how people
    work, communication, really helps out a lot for collaboration.
    ... For people who don't make it, that's okay. On day 1, we'll
    start off with some introductions and ice breakers for about an
    hour.
    ... Then we'll move on to getting a shared understanding of
    what we want to achieve and then reviewing what we know - the
    research summary, so we all have the same data to work with.
    ... We'll have a break in there and then we'll have a lunch
    hour.

    Jeanne: We'll have lunch delivered. My husband will run errands
    and help us with what we need.

    Jemma: We should figure out the logistics of my paying for
    lunch.

    Jeanne: Let's talk later on, you and I, to figure that out?

    All: Thank you for covering lunch, Jemma!

    Camron: After lunch, we'll come back at 1:15 on the dot, full
    of energy, and start to define and identify some ideas.
    ... One way we can do this, we'll create some "How might
    we...?" ideas. We'll want to generate not solutions at this
    point, but things like "How might we address some issue of the
    spec?" (I'll have some examples ready for Monday)
    ... We'll start to refine assumptions, and then take a quick
    break.
    ... At 3:00pm, we'll diverge. When we diverge, we'll have some
    small group activities, starting to focus on the goals,
    figuring out "What are the key issues?".
    ... In two days, we'll not solve every issue, so we'll want to
    allow different groups to own different issues and make the
    progress that we can.

    Jeanne: We'll have six weeks after the design sprint to come up
    with a requirements document, so we'll want to spend more time
    generating ideas and necessarily refining them in the exercise.

    Jennison: Jeanne and Shawn, have you organized your wedding
    reception group assignments?

    Lauriat: Nope, we'll get there.

    Camron: We can use an activity called "Crazy 8s" to generate
    ideas. Shawn pointed out the need to accommodate how
    participants can go through this exercise, and we don't have to
    adhere exactly to the piece of paper technique...
    ... People can keep track of the ideas in whatever way works
    best for them, the goal is to create eight ideas from each
    person.
    ... and then we'll vote on the ideas. I'd like some input on
    voting methods that would work best for this group, whether
    hands raised or something else.

    Jeanne: We could use drive and create a form on the fly that
    people could access however they need to.

    Lauriat: I would worry about the technical difficulties
    derailing things.

    [group discusses several options and scribe doesn't catch them
    all]

    Jeanne: We do need to make sure that however the groups track
    these ideas, we'll need to collect or convert them digitally so
    that we can save everything in Drive for reference.

    Camron: Something I had planned to do, through pictures and
    such, and I'll collect them all so that we can share them after
    the end of the design sprint.

    Jeanne: We may have students from the university who could
    volunteer to take notes and collect things.

    Jennison: We need to make sure to factor them in for seats and
    also lunches.

    Kelsey: This group has mostly worked remotely. Could we have
    any way to dial in for the design sprint?

    <silver> I have to leave for another meeting. please let me
    know if you have more info about food arrangement.

    Camron: It wouldn't really have the same experience.

    <silver> see you all at San Diego.;-)

    Jeanne: In my experience, it ends up as a huge distraction for
    people in the room, as we'd need to pass around a device to
    keep those on the call in the loop.
    ... We'll try to get people to keep notes in IRC, so you can
    follow along there. You can ping me on Skype and if/as
    appropriate, I can try to have you dial in.

    Charles: We could put together a Skype meeting for the debrief.

    Kelsey: That'd be great, thank you!
    ... if up for Skype for the introduction, I'd appreciate
    following along with that as well.

    Jeanne: Absolutely!

    Camron: If okay with this group, I'll continue walking through
    the agenda?

    Jeanne: Yep!

    Camron: Talking about the decide phase Tuesday morning, we want
    to get consensus.
    ... We won't vote just once. We'll vote to get some ideas, even
    on part of an idea, to vote and hone in on what to focus on.
    ... We'll do that multiple times to get a really good idea of
    what we want to prototype.
    ... We'll take a break and then get into the prototype
    activity. Explore an idea to see what it would look like, how
    would it work?
    ... We'll take a break for lunch and then continue prototyping
    after lunch. At this point, toward the end of the second day,
    we'll get into testing.
    ... Question how well it applies, run through scenarios.
    ... In prototyping, you put yourself in the perspective of the
    user, how would it feel to go through using this?
    ... After some validation, we'll talk through some next steps,
    wrap up to document next action items, and put together a
    summary of how complete or confident a given prototype is to
    the group.

    Jennison: The voting that happens on Tuesday morning, will it
    use the same process as the previous voting style?

    Camron: Yes.

    Jennison: Let's talk through the voting style now, rather than
    figure it out on the spot next week.

    Camron: That'd be great.
    ... I'll tweak the schedule and activities a little bit before
    we get there. How are decisions going to be made? Majority,
    unanimous? We should make that clear to participants before
    making a given decision.

    Jeanne: We should use consensus, but we have some backup ideas.

    Charles: The decisions we need to make in the room to progress
    to any conclusions made Wednesday are made by consensus or, if
    not, by majority. This just informs what goes into testing in
    order to make the really final decisions.

    Camron: Do those same rules apply during the design sprint?

    Jeanne: There aren't strict rules aside from what goes into the
    specification must happen by consensus.
    ... I don't think we have any strict rules about how a face to
    face meeting runs.

    Lauriat: We should use voting to see where we should go, rather
    than some strict consensus.

    Charles: So not really voting, we won't have any "no" votes,
    but more to get a sense of where we should go.

    Camron: Sounds like final decisions will be made outside of the
    design sprint, so any decisions aren't binding? Given that, I
    think we can use whatever method we think will work best for
    the group.
    ... And we'll document all of the ideas and the decisions made
    so that we can go back to see where things came from.

    Jeanne: We'll need to enforce this, as we'll have people in the
    room used to W3C methods and think that they apply in the
    design sprint.

    Camron: Taking notes on that.

    Jennison: So what about the actual voting technique itself?

    Camron: Do we have to have the same technique for all people in
    all activities?

    Jennison: Ideally, yes.

    Jeanne: For small groups, we could do it differently than the
    large group.

    Lauriat: Writing down the prefered ideas to track what they
    want to vote on? Would work better for the small groups rather
    than large.

    Jennison: I have a question: on Monday, is it that the small
    groups will be looking at the 80 or 100 ideas and within the
    groups and then it'll go down to a smaller group for Tuesday?

    Camron: Yes, so we won't carry the same volume through each
    step, voting and then condensing at each step.

    Kelsey: Will each group have a moderator who'll keep that
    happening?

    Camron: Hoping that the groups do that themselves, as a matter
    of driving the group's voting.

    <Kelsey> *drill down technique :)

    Jennison: I think within the groups, from an accessibility
    perspective, the narrowing down will prove easier since they
    can figure out what works best for them.

    [group talks through how to set better mentality around
    prioritization, rather than voting in or out]

    Jeanne: How many people should we have in each group?

    Camron: Ideally four or five. Easier to remember people's
    names.

    Kelsey: Maybe not quite an icebreaker, but maybe asking why
    people got involved in accessibility?

    Jeanne: Absolutely agreed.

    <Charles> can you send me the directions?

    Jeanne: Reminder, no meetings next week, for those not at CSUN!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
   
Received on Friday, 16 March 2018 15:22:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:23:52 UTC